1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

One More Reason to Love Avatar Speaker Cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by NYCbassist, Nov 25, 2012.

1. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

Slightly long read but worth it

Last Night during Rehearsal my Avatar B210 Neo Cab started making the Dreaded "Fart" sound out of the left Speaker. I wasn't pushing it very hard at all and I had my 1X15 hooked up as well. I was running my BX500 at about 3 and yes My Eq was way too Bassy.
    Today My Son and I went to pull the speaker out and test it by itself. My son says :eek:"Dad, what's with that piece of paper in the left side port?" We fished it out and Sure as S%$t it was a set list from about 5 years ago that had "slipped" into the Port. It positioned itself perfectly in the port to sound just like a Blown Speaker. Hooked it all back up and she's perfect once again.:hyper:
    During the whole time, I was emailing back and forth with Dave at Avatar and he was helping me diagnose it. He offered a nice discount on a replacement even though it's like 6 years old. Mind you it's Sunday and Dave was right there for me to try and help.
    I love my Avatar Cabinets and the Customer service is the very Best I've ever experienced.:)
  2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Hahahaha that is an awesome story.
    Kudos to Avatar and Dave as well.
  3. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

I had a old Peavey BW115 cab that sat in my garage for a long time. I decided to pull it out and use it for a band practice.
    About three bars into She sells sanctuary's driving 1/16 notes it starts blowing leaves and paper out of the round port.
    It looked like a leaf blower.
  4. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

Lol.
  5. bobcruz

bobcruz

Did those leaves put themselves inside your cab or was there maybe a rodent involved? Would've been interesting to see something furry shoot out of the port like a cannon shot, LOL.
  6. Jeb

Jeb

Cool story. Avatar gets alot of respect and good press from just about everyone who's used them. I have had a 212 and still have a B210pro. Maybe 8 years and gigged hard. 5 year old setlist? Oh snap. :D
  7. Figjam

Figjam Supporting Member

I used to use a 212 and it was great!!!!

I still use two 1x12s for my guitar rig.
  8. Tuned

Tuned

Still, Avatar cabinet power ratings are twice what they actually are. 1400W 4x10 my ass. They're quoting the thermal limit of the voice coil, but the cone reaches Xmax at half that power at low frequencies in a vented cabinet. Look at the 4x10 design right on Eminence's site:
    http://www.eminence.com/pdf/Basslite_CH2010_cab.pdf
    It says "displacement limited to 300W". Avatar uses a custom variation of that driver with higher thermal limit and Xmax, but no way it's 1400W when no other company that uses Eminence drivers gets better than 800W.
  9. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

Most (if not all) manufacturers do that. It doesn't make it right, but it's not right to single out Avatar.
  10. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

I used my Avatar B210neo with my Aguilar TH500 on Friday night and it sounded great. Last night, the gig was way too loud. That little cab kept up and never even complained once. :)
  11. creis2

creis2

I emailed Dave a few months ago when I was looking into a cab. He gave me the info I needed and wasn't very pushy at all. Long story short, his cabs couldn't give me what I wanted and he had no problem telling me that.

I'm sure he's a great cab builder and from my experience, a good honest guy. Would make a horrible used care salesman:p
  12. Tuned

Tuned

Show me another 1400W 4x10 then. I've never seen another over 800W.
  13. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

Yep, you're right. If you spend much time around here you learn not to get to hung up on wattage ratings, so I don't pay much attention to them.
  14. bobcruz

bobcruz

DNA claims some unbelievable figure like 1500 watts for their 410 but I don't think they use Eminence drivers. A lot of people are in denial about how many watts their cabinets can take before fartout, and these ridiculous power handling claims don't help.
  15. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member

16. levis76

levis76 Supporting Member

I purchased a set of 6 of Dave's 10" Deltalites several years back to replace the blown PAS drivers in a Goliath Sr cabinet. That cab went from :meh: to :eek: and shed almost 50lbs in the process. Dave's communication skills are top notch and his prices are insane, no idea how he stays in business or is it every other company is taking us players to the cleaners. :confused:
  17. Tuned

Tuned

Yorkville and SWR are good guides for what maximum true power specs are possible in each driver size. If a company claims they have higher power handling, cut it in half. It's possible to make a driver take more power, but at the price of efficiency, so it just takes more amp to get the same volume or less.