1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

One new song a week.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Staredge, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Staredge

Staredge

So....having made a resolution some 25 years ago that I'd never make another resolution (and I've kept it) this is not a resolution. However, with the turning of the calendar, I've decided to embark on a project to learn one new song a week. I was learning stuff for my band fairly regularly, but since that blew up I really haven't touched my basses much. Hate it, but without the strong motivation of accountability it's just too easy to do other things.

Hence the public declaration of my attempt to learn one new song a week for 2013. Anybody wanna come along???

Song #1 Here Comes the Sun

Possibly my favorite Beatles song.
  2. dbd1963

dbd1963 Supporting Member

That would be fun. I've been learning a lot of songs this year as I got back into playing live, but I haven't done any recreational learning..

I'm going to give Here Comes the Sun a try.
  3. Staredge

Staredge

Doesn't necessarily have to be my song.....can be any other you want or need to learn.
  4. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

I am already doing that and more, now if I could remember them all-that would be something.
  5. Auguste

Auguste

That is also my plan, but based on my choice of songs

Good luck. :)
  6. jive1

jive1 Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I was planning on posting 500 covers onto YouTube this year. Let's see how it goes.
  7. Staredge

Staredge

Probably should have written that better. I'm just posting my songs. Pick yer own. :spit: :D

Didn't mean to make it look like I was making up the list, although you're more than welcome if you like what I put up.
  8. Staredge

Staredge

Ok. Week one down. Here Comes the Sun.

For week 2: The Stones. Gimme Shelter.
  9. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Sounds like fun (and sounds like a resolution).
  10. Staredge

Staredge

:scowl::rollno::mad::spit::eyebrow: NOT a resolution!!!!!!

Merely a goal set, using the beginning of a new year as a convenient starting place to help keep track of my accomplishment.
  11. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well! Supporting Member

That's a business-smart and totally attainable goal. Kudos!
  12. hgiles

hgiles

13. Staredge

Staredge

2 months and playing out? Awesome! Good job. Luckily I really don't have a way to video myself, so I don't feel the need to document that I actually DID learn the songs I post. :p Y'all just gonna have to trust me. :D
  14. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

I wish it was that easy! I got the bass chair in late Dec for a gigging country band and need to learn 40 or more asap. Coming from a rock background it is proving to be very difficult. The patterns and turnarounds are foreign to me. I have seriously underestimated this genre.
  15. Staredge

Staredge

Just keep chanting root-5 root-5 root-5!! lol

I've found that some songs I think are easy, aren't. I've found some songs I thought were hard, weren't. I've been lucky to find isolated bass tracks on youtube for a lot of them. Helps when you can hear it.
  16. Renaissance

Renaissance

I'm doing the same kind of thing, only a little differently. I made a spreadsheet with a random date generator set from 1960 to present. Every week I get a new (#1, random) song from the Billboard 100 for that date. Having the computer select my songs introduces me to things I might not have bothered with otherwise.
  17. Staredge

Staredge

Well.....week 2 was a bit iffy. I had started with Gimme Shelter, but my 15 yo son is working on 311's I'll Be Here Awhile, so I switched over in the middle of the week to help him with that. Mostly done with it......still a little to figure out and clean up. So....

Week 1: Here Comes the Sun (done)
    Week 2: I'll Be Here Awhile (mostly done)
    Week 3: Yellow Submarine

***edit to add: Managed to get a little bit of time to finish up I'll Be Here Awhile. Off to Yellow Submarine!
  18. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Exactly what I've found, been frustrated by the amount of time to learn "Fireman" (George Strait).

I think part of my problem is hearing the bass vs. the bass drum, using an old laptop with a 3 speaker (small sub) computer system. I'm not gonna invest more $ since I'm looking for another 5er bass to leave at practice.
  19. Staredge

Staredge

Are you using anything to slow it down? I use Best Practice. I also try to find isolated bass tracks off of youtube. I use Audacity to record it. If you have an iPod/iPad, there's a program called Jamup XT that will do the same thing using your iTunes songs. Patch cable into an aux in on my amp, or in my case my Jamman looper pedal, and then out into the headphones.

Both programs are free.
  20. nutso42

nutso42

Okay, I'm in! A little bit late, but I'll toss my bass in the ring.

Week #3 of January: Time by Pink Floyd