1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

One non bass thing I have learned here

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slobake, Feb 6, 2013.

1. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

I like hearing different opinions about things. A recent thread about men being cautious and/or avoiding being alone with women made me think about how I feel about this. I still tend to err on the side of caution on this but hearing what everyone had to say helped me to examine my own beliefs and relax . I have been talking with my wife about this and she told me to not loosen up. If I am alone with a women for a purpose there shouldn't be a problem so why worry.
    At 3.a.m. on Monday a good friend knew he was having a medical emergency. For whatever reason he started calling everyone on his speed dial instead of 911. The first person he reached was a young women who came over and took him to the hospital where he had emergency surgery.
    He is back home now and doing well. My wife and I bought food over to him last night. The same young women has been staying in the house with him and taking care of him while she telecommutes for her job.
    I realized this morning that it never occured to me that this might be a dangerous situation for them, and I don't think it is. I am really happy that she is there taking care of him. Some of you may not think this is much of a big deal but for me it has made me just a little more free. It feels good to let go of old ideas. Thanks TB for helping open my mind in this area.
    And thanks to Titus for starting the share the love thread that got me thinking about this.
    Anyone else have a similiar experience.

2. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    i'm not exactly sure what you mean about being cautious about being alone with women, i didn't see the thread you mentioned. i will say, making a little bit of an assumption about the WHY, that if i find myself walking behind a woman who is alone, i will slow down my pace to add extra space. especially so at night, like walking to my car from a bar, and just happen to need to go the same direction that she does.

the standup comic patrice oneal(rip) had a joke about this sort of thinking... something like making sure he buys something about every half hour and asking for a receipt....

3. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Supporting Member

I learned two non-bass things here. Quantity > Quality and Asian chicks > everything.

4. bassteban

bassteban

I've learned that a thread can be closed BEFORE its starts. Not kidding

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

I've learned that sometimes teenagers can have a more civil online discourse than grown men who should know better.

7. spade2you

spade2you

Agreed. Who knew middle aged men could be so passive aggressive and drama queens? :bag:

8. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

The gospel according to Maki. ;)

9. carlos840

carlos840

Long live Maki, preacher of the truth!

10. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

I'll bet it's more of a case of humanity being able to engage in this behavior.

11. BawanaRik

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/crim...ho-served-30-years-in-dallas-robbery-rape.ece.

Is this the type of thing you mean? This or something similar happens everyday. Only when the Innocence Projects scrape together the millions needed to get justice for these men do we hear about it. And then not so much. And still the real perps who lies destroyed these men's lives, and millions of others go free.

Support the Innocence Project. And support justice by asking yourself during jury duty if you would like to spend the rest of your life in jail bases on the shakey evidence you just heard.

I am not a fan of putting innocent men in jail just to satisfy a hysterical person.

12. Kwesi

Kwesi Supporting Member

Right on, OP. Right on.

13. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

I learned that Lonesome Dave thinks Im a Double Bass.

I dont know why, though, as I never post in those forums... :confused:

14. bassfran

bassfran

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Lakland basses
    He probably meant 'Doobie Brother'.

15. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

I dont know how I could have missed that.

16. alembicguy

alembicguy Lone Wolf Miner

I've learned that the simplest thread can go from nice and cool to what the heck happened then closed in no time flat. Ah the Internet.

17. BawanaRik

Has anyone else noticed that it seems that people here are a lot like people in real life. Most are pretty decent with a few that aren't?

That kinda came to me late. I should have been quicker on the up take. You would think that having a shared experience like playing bass would drive people together would provide solidarity but the difference of opinion over a homogenous speaker arrangement v a heterogeneous arrangement speaker drives, (so to speak), bassists apart?

18. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

meh,...

cute, but waaaay too petite!!! (as in no butts & boobs):(

19. scorpionldr

scorpionldr

One thing I've learned about women in New Jersey: sanity you won't find here.

20. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Was watching The Gauntlet last night and I gotta go with Sondra Locke (as she looks in that movie, of course). I am a sucker for American 'Girls Next Door' types.

Other than that, TB has helped my attitude about dealing with the entertainment world.

...and I appreciate the loads 'o' snark supplied in the OT threads.

21. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

YODASPEAK: "Sanity find you'll not there!"