One of those "oh wait, that was a '57 P-bass" moments...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sloppy_phil, Mar 2, 2014.

1. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil Supporting Member

So I've been getting to know this local bass player who has been around and had many awesome gigs back in the day. Ronnie Hawkins is the only one I can remember off the top of my head... Anyways, he invited me over to his place for a hang.

Got there, and before I knock, I hear some heavy bass pumping out the house. Anyways, get in, and in the studio room is his Ampeg B-18 and there's a nice lookin P bass on a stand. He gives it to me to play, and it feels pretty damn nice. I play it for a couple minutes, enjoying some amazing tone, and a gigantic baseball bat neck. and i'm about to hand it back, when I ask him what kind of P it was. He told me "a 57". Now thanks to TB, i immediately assume the reissues fender did So I say "wow, pretty nice for a reissue". He just kinda looks at me funny, laughs, and is like "no man, that's a *57*!". That's when I realized I wasn't holding the bass with both hands! :0

It was quite an experience, and I'm sorry the picture is so crappy (and only one photo!), but I know that without proof, it didn't happen!

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1393823526.722028.jpg

Oh, and there was this rather strange lookin other bass just sitting around. No big deal though, or anything.......!!!!!!!!!! ImageUploadedByTalkBass1393823645.411971.jpg
  2. Lichtaffen

Lichtaffen

Media:
    Are both strung with TI Jazz Flats? Looks like it from the silks on the headstock. He took pretty good care of that '57, huh? I would have thought it was a reissue from the photo.
  3. Mitchthebassplayer

Mitchthebassplayer Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Fodera, La Bella, JuleAmps, Epifani
    wow, that's either one of the greatest taken-care-of '57s out there, or the dude's takin you for a ride....I have brand new basses in worse condition!
  4. sloppy_phil

it doesn't show here for obvious reasons, but the back has some pretty heavy paint fade, and the back of the neck is worn right down (in a most pleasing way).

He was experimenting with the Roto flats on the bass, but he's gonna put the old set of heavy, and heavily worn, La Bella flats back on. Or probably already has. Wal bass had Roto swing 66s
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

You met Leonardo. He's been the bassist for Alannah Miles for quite some time. Yeah, that's real 50's P Bass.
  7. Dragan

Dragan

Wal should get his stand,for obvious reason.

Great bases!!!
  8. Davo-London

Davo-London

LOL, could you not feel the mojo oozing from the wood?

Davo
  9. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I like the Wal just leaning against the wall.
  10. shadowtippy

shadowtippy

A guy I know from work told me I ought to play his '63 jazz sometime. He is the original owner of it. I offered him $20.00 for it, sight unseen. He doesn't want to sell, but he did laugh a little at the offer.
  11. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

I have an AVRI '57 that doesn't look any better than that one!

[​IMG]
  12. kcole4001

kcole4001

Yeah, that's pretty casual for such an expensive piece!

I wonder why there's a chunk cut out of the Ampeg's grille?
  13. sloppy_phil

that's the guy. Didn't want to name drop or anything, but yeah, Leo is a certified badass. He's only ever had the highest praise for me as a player. It's funny, he's always complaining when we share a bill that my being there forces him to overplay the sh!t out of his songs!

And yeah, Alannah Miles was definitely a name I had forgotten!
  14. sloppy_phil

he's very blase about the bass in general. It was his main gigging bass for about a decade, but he just got tired of it, I guess.

That Ampeg is another story all together. Apparently it belonged to a buddy of his who had gone super hi-fi with his gear. That cabinet had been sitting in a basement for 20 years, and he wouldn't even accept any money for it; he thought it was junk! Needless to say, Leo was happy to relieve him of that particular burden ;)
  15. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

Wow. I came across this but it wa behind glass. I don't recall exact year I think it was 51 or 52
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  16. Just wondering if your post might say more about the re-issues than the '57.

BassHappy
    www.innertainment.net