One thing I like about feminism

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slobake, Feb 14, 2014.

1. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

Watched the movie "Brave" last night and I have been thinking about it today on Valentine's day. I liked it that the main character was able to find wholeness in herself. She discovered that life is sometimes about being the best person you can be and not finding your value in what other people think of you or in some other person or achievement. She also learned to accept her mother as she is and not wish her mom was someone else.
    The movie didn't end with her marrying Prince Frogbass and living happily ever after. She didn't need that to be happy.
    I believe that is one of the messages of feminism that applies to both men and women. We don't need a partner to be a whole person. We are complete by ourselves. When we realize that it is about who we are and not about our acheivements or our significant other we actually make better partners. That is if we choose to have a partner.
    Happy Valentine's day. May we find joy and contentment by accepting who we are right now. May we confinedent enough in who we are to risk loving others. Even those who are hard to love.

2. shadowtippy

shadowtippy

When I saw the thread title, two things came to mind.

3. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

I think this is one of the messages of Men Going Their Own Way.

A man without a female is like a fish without a bicycle.

4. slobake

Should I be afraid to ask? :bag::p

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. shadowtippy

shadowtippy

The left one and the right one. Sorry, my mind works that way unless I keep a tight rein.

7. slobake

Left brain and right brain? :p:p
    Okay I do know what you are talking about, I tend to go there too. I love people and try and do the right thing but I'm not dead.

8. ZenG

ZenG

" A man without a female is like a fish without a bicycle"...

I have no idea what you mean by that but I absolutely love that analogy.......so "Dylanesque".........:cool:

That could be the title of my next cd......

"Fish With Bicycle"

9. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    I like a lot of things about feminism. Empowered women are much more fun to have around.

10. Thick McRunfast

Thick McRunfast Not just good, good enough Supporting Member

You got that right

11. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Indubitably!

12. macaroni tony

macaroni tony

I did love "Brave" as well, and the message behind it.

13. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

There's feminism that I think is rational and good - that women are fully human and should be treated as such, equal pay for equal work, etc. There are also ideas that fly the flag of feminism that I'm not so persuaded by. I believe that no man (person) is an island and our relationships are essential to our humanity. Some wings of feminist thought preach a radical individual autonomy that I think is really unhealthy. I agree that the be-all and end-all of a girl's life is not merely to get married, and she should experience her full human potential. But I think you can do that without denigrating the real need for relationship.

I liked Brave OK, but it was a bit too obvious of a feminist parable for me to simply enjoy it.

14. macaroni tony

macaroni tony

I didn't strike me quite the same way as you, though I can certainly see where you're coming from.

It's funny, some of the more feministy of the feminists were complaining about the movie, saying "Why did she have to be a princess?? Couldn't she have just been a warrior? Oppression!" blah blah :p

15. slobake

That is the very reason I enjoyed it. I believe our all of our relationships will be better if we are not dependant on other human beings or our accomplishments to make us complete. Those things will neve be enough for us, we will always need more.
    In every movement and/ or philosphy there are extemist jerks including feminism.

16. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

There are feminists, and then there are "feminists". Those that do not believe in equality, but the superiority of one sex over the other, belong to the latter category. You can see the same thing in certain male groups, and what they both have in common is that the more level-headed ones try to distance themselves from the crazies.
    I like that she was a princess in the movie, which has some pretty traditionally defined roles. The whole point is that she defied those rigid roles and created a new, better paradigm for herself and her successors. Choice is what made her development important. If she had just been a warrior from the start, she wouldn't have been able to choose such a different path.

17. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

Now they just need to make a movie about a knight who gets tired of battle and bloodshed and decides to retire in a castle to bake goodies and sing with birds.

18. slobake

Or a knight that decices to play music instead of engaging in bloody battles.

19. slobake

There are all kinds of warriors. Sometimes the weapons we user are not guns and or bombs but ideas and generosity. Sometimes it is the willingness to stand up for what is right now matter what the consequenses. Gandhi and Dr. King were two people who help bring about great change without ever resorting to violence. There are many others as well.

20. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    But there's only one American Gladiator.

His name is "Laser."

[​IMG]

21. Milk

Milk

This was a phrase coined by Irina Dunn. Actually her quote was "Man needs God like a fish needs a bicycle". Noted feminsit Gloria Steineim stole it but changed it to woman needs a man and it became a famous feminist slogan. I was personally introduced to this expression through U2, in the song So cruel on Achtung Baby, Bono uses the Woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle line. For some years i thought he wrote it. But he's not that witty, obviously.