1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

"Online" Band

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by pushbuttonfour, Aug 3, 2013.

1. pushbuttonfour

pushbuttonfour

So after posting a sample of my vocals on a vocal forum for critique, I received an email from someone in Russia asking me to be in their band. I told him this wouldn't work, because I live in California. But then he said he wanted it to be an "online band," where we send each other the recordings and never actually meet each other. I was intrigued and told him I would be in. This would be a side project to my real band, and it seemed like it would take minimal effort on my part. The guy said he was going to mix all the tracks and that he had even hired an artist for cover art, etc. Does this set off any red lights for anyone? So far, there seems to be nothing sketchy about it. The only problem I could see is some trust issues. Otherwise, it seems like a great way to get more exposure.
  2. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

I've known people who've done this before. It could work, but it could also be a decent way for someone to rip off another player's material. What chances would you have discovering this guy's 'real' band if they start taking your lyrics and melody lines and they begin using them as their own? Probably none.
  3. pushbuttonfour

pushbuttonfour

True. He did ask me to write some of the lyrics. But he also showed me the other singer (it's a hardcore singer, which I don't like too much, but I'm open to anything), so it's not like he's keeping everything to himself. I need to figure out a way to make sure there's no funny business, though
  4. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

IMO, time is my most finite resource as a musician, and exposure has sharply limited value.

Exposure can make some breaks easier to catch, but only for a time and only if you're positioned to seize them quickly. Otherwise, as the old musicians' mantra goes, "You keep saying exposure like it's a selling point, but people *die* of exposure."

To be worthwhile, work taken for "exposure" should be part of a plan that builds on your strengths. What's the likely upside to you of this proposed collaboration; that is, what are you going to do with exposure in Russia? And if it's a valuable opportunity, why does this guy reach outside of his network to give the opportunity to *you,* a complete stranger?

The answer might be b/c you're amazingly talented. If so, take advantage of that edge by finding digital collaborators placed in markets or musicians' networks that would be actually worthwhile for you to break into.
  5. pushbuttonfour

pushbuttonfour

Thanks for the assessment. The way I see it, the benfits of this are that 1) it would be fun and interesting, 2) I would be making music that I normally would never make (I don't think I would ever consider joining a hardcore band for realz), and 3) these guys have all their mixing and editing etc. down, so it wouldn't take that much effort. But of course, as you said, it could be a scam. I wouldn't consider myself amazingly talented by any stretch, so I doubt that's the reason. I think they were just looking for the first person that fits. (Here's the vocal sample I posted, if you're interested. You can decide for yourself if I'm the next Michael Jackson :p https://soundcloud.com/guitarersingist/grand-theft-autumn-demo )