Online instruction experiences?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Octavian, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Octavian

Octavian Supporting Member

I was curious to see who had experience with online instructors here and wanted to share their experiences. I'm not talking about one-on-one Skype lessons, but the group lessons offered by folks like Janek Gwizdala, Scott Devine and Chris Tarry...or any others.
  2. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

Of the ones you listed I've only used Scott Devine's lessons. I found them helpful and would recommend them to the student that has already spent enough time with his instrument to know the fundamentals such as how to hold it, tune it, where the notes are, etc.

My point - the student should already know his way around his instrument and have a general idea how to use it to make music, i.e. they should be a little beyond a raw beginner for this type of lessons to be beneficial. IMO the first month or so should be spent knee to knee with a live instructor, or with www.studybass.com or Bass Guitar for Dummies. After that those lessons would be helpful.
  3. Octavian

I agree. I think you should have a fairly solid grasp of the fundamentals before trying to learn from an online environment.

I am more interested, however, in the experiences of those who have studied online, rather than the pros and cons of online lessons.

Janek seems to focus on jazz and soloing. Scott appears to have a good cross section of material that includes theory. Chris Tarry's site is fairly new, but it looks like he is focusing on material for the working bassist. Plus, I think he has a member area where you can post videos for his critique, as well as for other members to critique. That seems to make it more of a two-way communication.

I know there is an Australian guy who offers an online course but can't seem to find him now that I need to remember his name!
  4. ahdowns

ahdowns

The Australian bass teacher that you are thinking about is probably George Urbaszek. You can find him on Youtube and he starts with really basic instruection. His first 4 videos are in prefect order and he is tb member. Check him out - he's great!
  5. Octavian

That's it! Thanks ahdowns!
  6. plarry

plarry

Chris Tarry's membership site stopped taking new members recently because they're currently building something new.

But you could subscribe to his newsletter and get 4 video lessons and his book, all really helpful, at least for me.

http://free.christarrylessons.com

I really dig the way he plays! Very creative, grooves like crazy and good teacher (again, for me). I've learnt from others, of course... Some of Scott's lessons were pretty helpful but I need to really like/admire the player too, provided he's also a good teacher, of course.

Janek G. is a monster technician but not my cup of tea, both as a player and as a teacher. But he's got a lot of fans.

All I can tell you is that Chris is the one who's had the best influence on my playing, so I'm really looking forward to his new resource!
  7. fred59

fred59

Thanks! Just got the book and first lesson. Awesome!
  8. plarry

plarry

You're welcome, glad you dig it!
  9. blakelock

blakelock Supporting Member

hi, i "attended" a cliff engel class (jazz basslines, i think). it was absolutely worth it. although each bit of info may be available "free" online somewhere, having a structured regimen is very valuable. also, cliff will directly answer questions. absolutely worth the low price.

cliff engel
    http://www.instituteofbass.com/
  10. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

Scott Devine

Cliff Engel
  11. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

On-line lessons have the unique position that no one can control who "comes to the class", how long they stay, and what they take with them when they leave.
    It can be a seven year old, or a forty seven year old, no experience or knowledge, lots of experience or knowledge, Male or Female, English speaking, French, speaking etc.
    No can be sure when the use they resource if they will start at the beginning and follow it, or just skip to the bits that "look and sound good"

To study on line a student needs to have faith in the teacher, and trust that what they talk about and teach is relevant and applies in helping them understand their instrument, or music, but hopefully the student wants both....but that is not always the case.

All the sites listed are great, bit what you may find is a different philosophy or presentation in teaching the material, not that what they are teaching is different, the material will be the same. Maybe some of it is on different levels or assumes you have the background and foundation to tackle it.
    The on-line teacher cannot see or hear the student...... never met the student, so it is up to the student to be honest in what they do on-line and be true to their abilities, as there is not a teacher to spot when they are not or having trouble understanding a concept or idea.

The great thing about a teacher is the way the can make you see things you may not, how to see and hear ideas in different context.
    One of the main reasons self taught does not always work is because it is the students own interpretation of the material, and the student is neither qualified or has the experience to quantify its worth.
    They can lack the patience to adopt an idea or learning that will bring benefit down the line, if it does not bring fast results they usually deem it not worth working on or learning.

On-line works great, but it will always benefit the player who already has understanding, ability and skills on their instrument, but are looking to expand or improve.:)
  12. Kuroth

Kuroth

Yes I am doing the George Urbaszek lessons and very happy with them.. I am on Lesson 8 of 50 and I am a very Raw beginner and he starts right there(He does have a group of more advanced lessons if your not a raw beginner)

I am going to do Scotts also at some point but really like Georges teaching style and the pace of his lessons..
  13. Chris Tarry

Chris Tarry

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Moollon Basses, D'Addario, Markbass, GruvGear
    Hey Guys,

Thanks for the kind words, and glad you're getting something out of the lesson site. PLarry is right, the response to the lessons was bigger than I anticipated so we're building something new and exciting to better organize the over 100 lessons. For now head on over, get on the list, and get your free lessons (and my book). I'll let you know when the new space is up and running.

http://free.christarrylessons.com

Thanks!
    CT
  14. plarry

plarry

Hey! Mr. Tarry Himself! Long time no see on Talkbass! Too busy getting your new lessons site ready, in between gigs and studio sessions? No chance you have a new album underway... or have you?

Anyway... very much looking forward to your new resource! As I said a above, I've found your book and free lessons very very helpful, thanks! Funny how 10" vids can end up meaning hours of practice: pausing them, trying to replicate what you're doing, then expanding on it, etc. Great stuff, really!
  15. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz
    There are some great lessons on-line, great conceptual stuff to helpful tips for beginners..

Unless there is live interaction, you will never be able to benefit from a teacher's critique to your approach, both musically and from a technique standpoint.

Also, sometime a teacher can say something several different ways and one of them will give you that ah-ha moment. Without interaction that is impossible.

While the on-line lessons are an awesome resource, unless your musical development is being coached, either in person or electronically via Skype, you can never reap the most important part of what a teacher has to offer... The human interaction... IMO of course.
  16. plarry

plarry

Of course I do agree with you, Dbassmon. But Octavian wrote:
    But, as I read it, Chris Tarry is willing to provide some kind of interaction with his upcoming resource (see last paragraph on http://free.christarrylessons.com/). At least that's what I understand when he says "we want to take care of our students". Perhaps the ability to post videos for his critique, as Octavian hinted?