1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Online pharmacies

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by michael_atw, Dec 14, 2012.

1. michael_atw

michael_atw Supporting Member

So I have a question - has anyone used an online pharmacy and ordered a medication without a prescription?

Presently I am not insured; I was dating a girl who ended up with mono and strep throat and I am relatively sure I acquired some sort of illness - though my symptoms are quite mild. That being said, I'm not interested in paying $200 to see a doctor and get an expensive medication just to verify something I might already know.

I know they are "under the table" and I am well-aware of the risks of bad ones. I was curious if anyone has used one and if they have a reputable location/webpage that something can be ordered from.
  2. Simo98

Simo98

In Australia they all require you to phone up and generally send them a copy of the script afaik. Not sure about in the US though.
  3. michael_atw

Yeah, I mean buying it "black market". I.e. without a prescription.
  4. john_martin_sai

john_martin_sai

I've done so....from pharmacies in India and Thailand.
  5. Angus

Angus Gold Supporting Member

But you are okay paying a lot for a prescription you probably don't need when you don't know what you have?

Go to a free county hospital clinic.
  6. LarryO

LarryO

If you go to an online pharmacy wearing a backpack, will the webmaster ask to search it? :-/
  7. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

If it's mono, there isn't anything you can really do other than getting some rest and fluids, maybe take some anti inflammatories (ibuprofen), just like most viral infections.
    If it's strep, you can just ride it out, take bedrest and fluids. All the doctor is likely to give you is a broad spectrum antibiotic, but it's not something that requires antibiotics to clear.

Either way, unless you have the symptoms (though it sounds more like paranoia, you'd know if you had mono or strep, it isn't likely to feel mild). Just take it easy, drink lots of fluids.
    What's the point in buying something this way online when:

A) You don't know what you have.
    B) You don't know what you need.
    C) It probably won't be what you ask for.
  8. bmb73

bmb73

Strep can turn into a pretty nasty case of tonsillitis or worse if gone untreated . Something like that would require antibiotics...

To the OP, you're best bet would be to suck it up and see a medical provider. Trying to self diagnose, or ask for advice on a forum without being seen is a recipe for disaster...
  9. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

It certainly can get worse, as can many other infections. I guess I should have said "It should clear up on it's own", as in the majority of people it'll clean up by itself. I'm also assuming should it get beyond "mild symptoms" the OP is "relatively sure" he believe is related to infections an old partner now has, that he'd get seen. IMO it's a significantly safer option than trying to self diagnose and buying whatever an illicit online pharmacy is claiming to be selling.
  10. michael_atw

Well, it has been a few weeks; I did exhibit light symptoms but my immune system is pretty beastly - I never get stomach illnesses and get other ails about 3 times a year - each time normally pretty mild.

I read strep can exist without any symptoms; also that it goes its own course.

I have merely felt lethargic and slow recently; which is not unusual for me but annoying at the most.

I got some info on some alternative safe ways to secure an antibiotic - so I'm going to head that route.
  11. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito

It would seem to be highly illogical to attempt to avoid medical costs by ordering drugs illegally from black market sources in foreign countries.

Most county health departments have free clinics. Find one.
  12. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

If strep starts becoming an issue, you'll get large white patches on your tonsils and they'll swell up, whenever you swallow it'll feel like a nice coarse sandpaper being ground around inside your throat.

Just keep an eye on it and if anything does start getting worse, see a professional. Buying from an unknown source isn't a sensible option IMO.
  13. bmb73

bmb73

Definetly. I wasnt trying to debase what you said or anything along those lines :) online pharmacies seem really shady. And messing around with antibiotics are bad news. We wouldnt have MRSA without them lol
  14. Angus

Angus Gold Supporting Member

Go. To. Free. Clinic.
  15. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

What alternative safe way would that be? Particularly as you don't even know if you have a bacterial infection, let alone what type and what antibiotics will treat it.
  16. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

It's all good, I always try to never say never, I should have been clearer :)
  17. t77mackie

t77mackie

You can get antibiotics at any pet store*. DO YOUR RESEARCH. Go to a city hospital and see a doc.

*For entertainment purposes only.
  18. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Or just eat some moldy bread :bag:
  19. TOOL460002

TOOL460002

A medication will go by different names when it is produced by more than one company. Make sure the markings on the medication match, and that you know exactly what you are getting. Online pharmacies are very, very risky. You might get something that looks like the real deal, but that is a sugar pill. Or you could get something that looks real, and has the real medication in it, but also has some additives, or artifacts from the chemical processes that make it unsafe. What you want to do is not safe, but read reviews and get as much knowledge as you can if you wish to take a chance (and I would NOT recommend that you do it).

I am also pretty sure it is illegal to own a prescription medication without a prescription. If it was fine to do so, you would be able to get it over-the-counter, or at a grocery store. You might not get hassled over an antibiotic, but if you are in possession of pain killers or amphetamines with nothing but your online prescription order, be prepared to go to jail.

Save yourself some problems and see a friggin' doctor man.
  20. michael_atw

I figured this would devolve into advice.

FYI - I've done research for months on this matter. I know what everyone is saying, more than what they are saying, before they say it.

That being said, I asked specifically if anyone knew about a source. I got some responses I am happy with.