online purchasing music gear

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Icey101, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Icey101

Icey101

ok this post might need to be in another thread.

So i'm about to now purchase my first online parts ie strings, PUPs etc

so Musicians Friend seems ok, i've just been on their website, also sweetwater seems ok, remembering shipping to Australia

does anyone have any preferance for online sites for their gear? and bad experiances?

thanks
  2. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

I like Talk bass.. :)

Seriously though ... either one is good. I have bought from all 3 (4 if you include TB;)) and have never had a bad experience.
  3. oniman7

oniman7

I've had good experiences with MF and heard great things about Sweetwater... but I always like how Musician's Friend doesn't charge sales tax or shipping.
  4. michael_atw

michael_atw Supporting Member

I would go for Sweetwater before MF. Last time I bought from Sweetwater they sent me candy in the box. Mmm....candy...

Register to disable this ad
  5. Simo98

Simo98

You'll struggle to get many of those sites to ship to Australia.

Musicians friend now ship a limited range, but it's only specific brands and second hand items, not many complete basses or amps or anything will ship, but some brands of strings and stuff are fine.

The main one I buy from is ProGuitarShop, mostly for effects pedals. They don't have a whole lot of bass gear, but there prices are pretty good, nearly everything ships to Australia, and they have free shipping on orders over $400.

Be careful with importing instruments and stuff, generally you're pretty good, but anything with wood in it can cause big problems coming through Australian customs if you're unlucky. Last thing you want is a new bass with little holes drilled in it and a $200 bill for fumigation fees. Also, anything valued at over $1000 is liable for both import duties (15% I think?) and then standard GST charged ontop of that.
  6. Icey101

Icey101

good info boys thanks
  7. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

8. hover

hover