1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Online Resume Templates

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by agent77, Oct 17, 2013.

1. agent77

agent77 Tin Foil Hat Wearer Supporting Member

Does anyone know any good (preferably free) online resume templates? I downloaded 3 different ones this morning, but I can't get any of them to work.
  2. surgay

surgay

All you need is one sentence: I play bass. And a WAV file. And maybe a picture if you are purdy.
  3. tastybasslines

tastybasslines I'll hump your leg Supporting Member

What is the job type you are looking for? All resumes are not created equal for each industry...
  4. agent77

agent77 Tin Foil Hat Wearer Supporting Member

It's a maintenance job at a VA hospital.
  5. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight Supporting Member

Avoid templates at all cost. They're cheesy, it's obvious when you use one, and recruiters don't think very highly of them.

My recommendation would be to sample some resume formats, find one that best highlights your qualifications and accomplishments, then build one from scratch.
  6. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium Supporting Member

7. Eric Perry

Eric Perry

I will second this.
  8. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

+2

Make one from scratch, see the styles that other people use as a guide.
  9. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

well, templates would be helpful to see how they should look to build one from scratch....
  10. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

I wouldn't look at the general templates you see online though, Id compare to real resumes if possible.
  11. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight Supporting Member

I would say not necessarily. Templates usually have very strange font choices and sizes, graphics and colors in the header and other parts of the document (which should be avoided unless you're in a creative field like visual media), and I find that they often do not use white space very well.
  12. Eric Perry

Eric Perry

Although I'm biased, I do like mine. It's put together as a CV as opposed to a resume, however. I'm not going to post it publicly, but I'd forward a copy, if anyone were curious to see how it's assembled.