1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

online stores that setup basses before shipping

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wrench45us, Dec 3, 2013.

1. wrench45us

wrench45us

So if in this holiday season, one succumbed to sales pressure and constant e-mail deals, which online stores actually bother to setup a bass before they ship?

Indications are that Muscian's Friend/Guitar Center does not.

Some indications that Sweetwater and Sam Ash may.

confirm or deny...
  2. StevieMac

StevieMac

Just because someone does a setup prior to shipping doesn’t mean:

a) It will be setup to your liking
    b) The setup will remain the same in transit. Especially this time of year when the bass will be going through numerous temperature changes.

The basses at Guitar Center/Musician’s Friend were setup at the factories prior to shipping. While GC may not do a setup when they arrive they don’t “un-set” them either.
  3. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

I believe that Sweetwater inspect their basses and do some kind of setup before they leave their warehouse.
  4. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Sponsored by Jagermeister Supporting Member

I'm going to go with a 'doesn't matter'. Because once a bass ships to another location (State, climate, elevation, humidity, whatever), it changes and will need to be re-setup anyway.
  5. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Make it your New Years resolution to learn how to do your own setups. It will be A gift that keeps on giving.
  6. StevieMac

StevieMac

A huge +1

There are endless threads right here on TB to help you out and just as many youtube videos that take you through it step by step. It will be WELL worth the small amount of time it takes to learn and a minimal investment in a few tools.

And you'll be able to setup every bass you have EXACTLEY the way YOU want it, not the way some tech thinks it should be.
  7. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

This guy nailed it. And +1 to learning to DIY. C'mon, dude (or dudette), someone who calls themselves "wrench" ought to be able to learn to do a basic setup. :)
  8. Ponsonby_Britt

Ponsonby_Britt

Sweetwater does (a 55-pt evaluation!), don't know about MF, where I bought my Squier P5. There is an MF sticker on the box the bass was packed in, but that may not mean anything more than MF received it.
  9. Turnaround

Turnaround

Disclosures:
    Bass Technician, Club Bass - Toronto
    At Club Bass we do a complete setup before shipping. Sure it may change during shipping, but it may not. We want it to arrive in the best shape possible, and there's not much chance of that happening if it leaves the shop in a lesser state.
  10. electracoyote

electracoyote

This is true, but IME, the set up is not always very good.

TBH, I think the whole notion that a stranger who knows nothing about me, my needs, or my playing style can set up a bass to my liking is a bit misguided. I much prefer to do it myself or have a tech assist.
  11. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Sweetwater seems to do some setup, but 55 points? I have a hard time imaging what silly things they include to reach that number. Checked D string tuner for offensive odor?
    As almost everyone else has said, it will likely need a tweak after shipping. And +100 to learning to do as much of that as you can yourself. It's not brain science or rocket surgery!
  12. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

^ Yes - a 55 point inspection. That's where I've gotten my last 3 basses from.
    Very good people/company.
  13. Crazyeelboy

Crazyeelboy Gold Supporting Member

Wildwood does set ups
  14. happyg

happyg

I believe the Perfect Bass and Bass Central do.
  15. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Another in the "doesn't matter" camp
  16. BassHappy

BassHappy

Sweetwater gives you the option - some people want the bass right out of the box - untouched and unopened. Others want them to open it up and dial it in.

Since I am from Fort Wayne, and visit there a couple of times a year - I brought one of my perfectly set-up basses to them and had them keep the relevant measurements for the action I like on file. So when they send me an instrument it is set up for me right out of the box.

If you buy basses a lot from Sweetwater, it may pay for you to get them your measurements on how you like the action, so they can set up accordingly, which they will do. Or it may pay to send them one of your favorites and let them measure it. My sales person is a pretty kick ass bass player himself and although he does not do the setup work - I always have him double check it before they send it out.

I can do my own set up work but have also a local tech/guru that does tweaks for me.

It's like a salad - always tastes better somehow if someone else makes it!

BassHappy
    www.innertainment.net

Not sure anyone else offers these services, but they should.
  17. 6stringpanda

6stringpanda

I order 80% of my gear from American Musical (the best in the biz in my opinion) and I like the fact that the instruments arrive NOT TOUCHED BY ANYONE so I can do my own setup. I agree everyone isnt able to do a setup but I like to peel off the plastic-foam and rubber bands off my new gear!!!
  18. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom Supporting Member

If you don't want to learn to set up your own bass(es) for whatever reason, you could make part of your buying yourself this gift, taking the bass down to your local luthier and have them set it up for you.
  19. pedroims

pedroims Supporting Member

Set up my basses it is a pleasure to me: Go to the store, get new strings, stop by the party store and grab a six pack of great beer, get home , turn the stereo on with nice music, take the tools out of the box, open up a beer, start the set up, complete the set up, play the bass, get another beer.
  20. wrench45us

wrench45us

by the by the name wrench is ironic. My mechanical and spatial skills are limited.
    But I have tweaked a truss rod now and then since the humidity does vary in Minnesota from summer to winter about as much as anyplace on earth.

But I do know of a very skilled setup guy named Ted at mymusicstore.com who's very good and then and it's a good excuse to go in and support an independent and knowledgeable music store and learn a little something from owner and staff.
    They just don't carry the low end bass that's tugging at my mind these days, otherwise I'd go with them. If you buy from them setups are free for life -- doesn't exactly encourage the DIY.