Only 364 more days until Christmas!!!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bongostealth, Dec 26, 2013.

1. bongostealth

bongostealth Supporting Member

That time of the year is quickly approaching! Only 364 more days! So, whip out the 'ol Christmas tree and get your lists for Santa ready, 'cause he's a comin'!!

2. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

There was a time when I used to get depressed when christmas was over. Lately I have realized that the whole christmas hype is just that - hype. Growing up I was so excited about what Santa would bring me. Later it was about what I would get, and after that it was about how much people would know I loved them by the gifts I gave them. Then it was that special day with the family, decorating our house , the food etc, etc. Expressions like "the magic of christmas" and others were probably lurking somewhere in my psyche.
    Now I realize that Christmas is a fun day but it is not special in some sort of magic way. It is a fun day for me to get together with family and friends and do a lot of the things I mentioned above. It also has spritual signinficance for me. But really it is no better or worse than any other day. I like that, it takes all the pressure off and helps me to just enjoy myself.

3. Rocker949

Rocker949

Not to be a Scrooge, but it's definitely not what it's cracked up to be as far as I'm concerned.

4. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

It's a day off. I'm looking forward to it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Don't wish anyone a good day or happy holiday. If you do not wish them a "Merry Christmas" it is viewed as an act of war under the Geneva Conventions.

7. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

Hoo boy! ;)

8. Dug2

Dug2 Supporting Member

9. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

Please, anything but that! It already starts immediately after Halloween. Factor in the "after-Christmas sales" that we're now being bombarded by, and it's two solid months a year. That's one sixth of your life spent on a holiday that used to be religious, and has now been completely co-opted by Babylon. Remember what Jesus did to the money changers in the temple? What do you think he'd say about this travesty? I'm not even a Christian and I find the whole thing shockingly sacrilegious.

I repeat: that's one sixth of your life stressing out about gifts. One sixth of your life going to get-togethers with people you have zero desire to get together with under any normal circumstances. And one sixth of your life trying to figure out how to pay for it all.

Of course, the dirty (and scary) little not-so-secret is that many (most?) businesses rely on this season to stay afloat. It's almost like our entire economy is reliant on a mythical fat guy in a red suit. Which (call me a radical) doesn't sound like a smart way to run an economy, but what do I know? I don't even have ONE magic flying reindeer. ;)

10. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually Supporting Member

Very true, it's called Peak Season and lasts traditionally from Aug to mid Dec. There are other consumer quick peaks like 'back to school' and pre-spring (clothing, outdoor items) but the main peak is holiday driven and many Dow Jones companies have some direct or indirect connection to it.

All of us in logistics can tell when it's going to be a good "peak" simply by the volume of imported goods coming through the various inbound Ports. Domestic sourcing has little impact. This year was a bit flat.

11. Gazman

Gazman

Is it too early to start drinking?

12. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Never. Have a foster and some vegemite. It's all good.

13. geeza

geeza

Disclosures:
    Huh?
  14. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

i can't wait to return next years gifts already!;)

15. bongostealth

bongostealth Supporting Member

So I'm not the only one that feels this way? My wife and daughter are actually in Florida right now for Christmas. I couldn't go because I just started a new job and have no time off. I was more than happy to flaunt this reality as an excuse even though it's technically the truth. However, I still think I missed out on somewhat of a good time because I've been pitifully bored out of my mind all week! The only good thing is that I had to go back to work today.

16. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man.

What? I haven't even begun shopping yet!

17. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

18. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

get out ... GET OUT !!!!!!!!!