Only ONE Amp for Studio: which would you pick?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Lorenzop, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Lorenzop

Lorenzop

Hi all!

If you could only pick ONE amp for studio recording duties, what would it be?

Here the CATCH:
    it's got to cover as much ground as possible, style-wise and instrument wise, it must cover:
    1.Bass
    2.Guitars
    3.Keys
    3. As many styles (Vintage to Modern) as possible.

Cabs could /should be mixed and matched depending. But Amp stays!!

So far I'm thinking a Fender Bassman 50 might cover this. Great cleans abd some crunch, but can cover everything with pedals - and apparently sounds great with Rhodes and other keys.

I'm open to any other suggestions!

Thanks !

EDIT:
    Please don't bother to post "record direct" or "forget the amp" answers, as I can do that already, the point is, I need a real amp!
  2. dune2k

dune2k

Ampeg V4, Orange or Hiwatt would be nice too.
  3. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Get a good input for your computer, record direct and use electronic wizardry to add the sounds you want.
  4. GM60466

GM60466

Phil Jones
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:

There is no one best amp for Bass-Keys- Guitar.
    They all have different needs.
    But a 60's Bassman is a good place to start.
  7. nick98338

nick98338

For recording, I would not choose an amp, at all.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ampeg SB-12.
  9. bgavin

bgavin Supporting Member

Keys: direct in
    Guitar: unique combination of amp + speaker cone breakup
    Bass: direct-in (pure bass), or Ampeg or GK or SWR or ?? + various cabs, all depending on the desired coloration.

OP, you are seriously limiting yourself with a one-size-fits-all approach.
    Just as there is no one microphone for all voices, there is no one amp for all uses.

IMO, the guitar amp selection is the most critical.

Determine which of the above is your most pressing need, and fill it first.
    As budget and funds allow, add another quality component. Again based on the most pressing need.
  10. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Alleva-Coppolo| MESA |Genz-Benz R.I.P.|REDDI|Westone
    Keys should be DI in.. But if you want a amp to do GIt and Bass.. id say a old 50 watt fender bassman with a 212 cab
    Bass is great with DI and mic. But the right mic and right DI.. I have my preferences.. Others have theirs.
    I like the REDDI tube DI.. and mic a 115 or 112 cab with a low wattage amp ala B15 or fender bassman with a 112 or 212 cab. And RE20 mic.
    My engineer buddy was doing a Sting record a few years ago and that was his signal chain.. and it works not only for him but many..
  11. Lorenzop

Lorenzop

What Hiwatt models are you thinking about??
  12. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

I was going to recommend an old Nave's channel strip until I read your "edit".

Get an old Fender Bassman amp.
  13. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

If you need a real amp and you don't already have one for guitar I think you just focus on that and keep recording direct for the keys and bass. A small tube Fender combo is good for just about everything.
  14. dune2k

dune2k

Would probably stay away from the Lead or "OL" models, aside from that you'd have to check whether the 50w (DR504) version's preamp wise is the same as the 100w (DR103) version's. As far as I can tell they are the same.
    For recording 50w is fine, if you plan on ever using the amp live with bass the 100w version is prefered.
  15. Grissle

Grissle

For decent versatility and great quality, an Ampeg V4 or Fender 100T, depending on your flavour preference.
  16. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

DI boxes, Audio Interface, computer/iPad, hi-fi preamp/mixer, PA (power amp + passive speaker or active monitor(s).

Software models of bass and guitar amps aren't quite as good as the real thing, but they've gotten pretty damned good, and I don't think any single physical amplifier will do all three jobs well.
  17. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member

Easy - AxeFxII
  18. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

Agreed - on all points.

Of the three instruments - bass, keyboards & guitar - guitar is the only one that really needs a good amp. Even then, there are some decent amp/speaker simulation DIs available for guitar - such as the Radial JDX Reactor and the Hughes & Kettner Red Box - that don't make an amp absolutely necessary.

Bass, keyboards & guitar are sufficiently different from each other - although bass & keyboards are much closer to one another - that it simply makes no sense to try to use just one amp for all three. There's just too much compromise necessary to make it worthwhile. :rollno:

MM
  19. Tractorr

Tractorr Supporting Member

Media:
    One of the problems with using the same amp for everything is everything will have the baked in tone of the amp. A Bassman is a good but what I would do is then have two different cabs. Get a guitar 12 for guitar and maybe a 15 for bass. Then you would at least have a difference in sound from the cabs.
  20. blr2

blr2

Actually, I'm one of the few that don't share the opinion that bass doesn't benefit from recording through an amp. We cut a record last year, and I used only a dry Di signal for the bass. It sounds OK, but the bass, although eq-ed and compressed nicely in the mix, always sounds a bit detached to me. It's difficult to explain, but it doesn't feel so warm and organic.
    For the new record, I decided to try using small tube heads and Palmer speaker simulator box, taking the signal from the speaker output. Suddenly, it all feels so much fluid and into place. Even raw mixes sound more "complete" if you will. My bass sounds rounder and more natural, and sits nicely in the mix, needing a lot less compression than before. Again, difficult to explain, but the difference is there and the other band members agree its better.
  21. Mikeee71

Mikeee71 Supporting Member

The DI on the Streamliner 900 is most excellent!