1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Only ONE pair of flats a local guitar center?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by southpaw723, Feb 16, 2014.

1. southpaw723

southpaw723

I've always hated my local guitar center for their lack of bass related stuff and the people who work there are all tools and not helpful at all. I asked if they had flats and they only had one kind! Am I over-reacting or is this normal?

2. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

It's pretty normal. I have a hard time finding 5 string sets locally too, at least the sets that I like.
    BSO is your friend :)

3. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

I find that very few music stores carry flats. Most only carry a few of brands of 4 and 5 string round wound sets such as GHS and DR. I get my flats from online vendors.

4. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

you must shop at the GC in Gilroy! wait a minute,... they had zero flats when i was there!:eek:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    My local (90 minutes away) carry DR and D'Addario tapes and Chromes usually. My local mom and pop, 30 min has D'Addario Chromes and Tapes in stock most of the time.

If an emergency OR I feel the need to spend something at the local shop just because... I buy from BSO ... The selection has what I want and I don't go further than the mail box. I'm less picky in guitar strings so I make the trek to the mom & pop. Stands and what ever else I can use I get there. My first Kala UBass as well. Nice folks trying hard... I give 'em the biz that I can.

Portland Music has Dr, Fender, D'Addario, GHS and Thomastic flats in stock usually. A few bucks more than Jason (BSO) and even more of a hassle to get to for me. If I lived closer I would use those guys. Nice shop!

One thing I have found with GC over the years is that if you have someone 'inside' Gc can be great. I used to have a Prosound and recording contact that just bent over backwards and treated me incredibly well. He was fantastic and GC got a lot of my biz because he was there. Bass and guitar stuff as well as my Pro Tools and recording stuff. He left and subsequently, so did I...

7. GlennW

GlennW

Most stores stock what people most often buy.

Try calling them up and ask them if they have what you want before you go over there.

8. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I'm a Fuzzrocious-aholic. It's been one week since I bought my last Fuzzrocious pedal.
    Another +1 for bass strings online. I called up with some questions and they really took their time working with me. I just bought three set of strings based on their recommendation.

9. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

That is odd, you would need at least two pairs.

10. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

You may be repeating the same mistake over and over, yet hoping for a different result. Have you ever considered purchasing your strings from a source that actually carries the product inventory you want and need, and that treats you like a valued customer? Or would you prefer to dump on Guitar Center instead? :eyebrow:

MM

11. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Flats are hard to find in almost any music stores today. One time I asked for them at a mom and pop store and the owner said what do you want them? Only old guys play flats :rolleyes:

12. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    :) That was better than anything I could come up with. Clever, and subtle. :)

13. pfox14

pfox14

I get all my strings from bassstringsonline.com - never from GC. It's so much easier to find exactly what you want online from the comfort of your home.

14. bswag

bswag One of its feet is both the same Supporting Member

"... or is this normal?"

Probably, in most places. I think today everybody just assumes you'll shop online. I got my Breedlove from the Madison GC- had to order it, of course, they didn't stock anything fretless- only because it simplified the picking-it-up part of the equation for me. Otherwise I might have just gone online from the get-go.

Given the unwillingness of most stores to stock esoteric items like tapewound strings, &c, I second what many have writ- BSO is the way to go! Yes, I'd like to shop local more often, but "local" here means either a long bus trip, an expensive cab trip, or a nice stroll to go somewhere that won't have what I want anyway. So...

15. bswag

bswag One of its feet is both the same Supporting Member

Turock-

Or, a full house? No, wait...

16. elgecko

elgecko

My local GC (Brea, CA) had exactly what I wanted in stock, DR flats!

17. TigerInATrance

TigerInATrance

Now imagine trying to find a set of flats (or halfs) for a sixer...

BSO is indispensable for those of us who need special sets (or those who just prefer amazing customer service and great prices)

18. ZenG

ZenG

One bigbox music store I go to has zero flats.....

They sell bass guitars though......

The other bigbox music store I go to has a variety of flats and they sell a greater range of basses than the other store.....they also seem to know more about bass guitars than the other store.....

My local tiny-town music store never has anything I want and half the time there's a note on the door saying he's gone and will be back at "-" o'clock....which he never is.

19. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Unless you use Ernie Ball rounds don't go to GC.

20. invader3k

invader3k Supporting Member

I agree with comments that the bass string selection at most music stores is pretty bad. Yet another reason to order stuff online.

21. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Funny all the music store in my area are like that..tons of EB bass strings.