1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Oops I killed the headliners bass rig

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by chepo06, Feb 9, 2013.

1. chepo06

chepo06 Supporting Member

Has this ever happened to anyone?
    Couple weeks ago my band opened for another band. The headliners rig was a Kustom tuck n roll 2-10 from like 1920 and peavey head. I offered to bring in my combo but was told not too due to there was no room due to a small stage.

Needless to say the output on my lakland 55-02 was too much and about 2 songs into our set took a toll on one of the 10's. I felt really bad. I offered to pay for it. He was like nah it's cool

Well about a month later the same band opened for us and poor dude was still playing thru the jacked up cab, so I gave him a 2-10 carvin cab that I wasn't using anymore.

Felt really bad
  2. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

Did you notice anything during the first set?
  3. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

nice move, chepo!
  4. dhsierra1

dhsierra1

that's class :cool:
  5. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Very generous of you.
  6. Mykk

Mykk

I haven't done that to someone else rig, but during show I blew one of the 10's in my own Ampeg 810E. Happened to be the 10" that had a mic on it too.
  7. vin*tone

vin*tone Supporting Member

Nice play. It was not your fault though. You were just in the wrong place ant the wrong time.
  8. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I once let a major headliner use one of my SVT cabs because their equipment truck had broken down on the way to the gig. He blew the speakers and never offered anything. I've never let anyone use my gear again.
  9. Jammin Johneboy

Jammin Johneboy

Chepo your a good guy for offering to fix his cabinet . He was a good guy for accepting the loss without a fuss , especially considering it sounds like he does not have much money in life . Then a month later when you saw the poor guy was still using the broken cabinet , you showed real class and integrity by giving him a cabinet to fix the problem for him . We need more people like you on this earth . Right on Chepo .
  10. chepo06

chepo06 Supporting Member

Thanks guys. Only made it thru 2 songs we were the opening act.

I really felt bad as I'm not an aggressive player
  11. GeorgeBerlin

GeorgeBerlin

Oh well, that brings up bad memories from like 20 years go when we supported a show for a german metal top act. Our drummer was friends with them and insisted that I use their bassist's SVT instead of my humble SWR head. I was reluctant but finally agreed. And then I blew it up!:bawl: That was really embarrasing but the guy kept cool and used my head. After the show he even thanked me for letting him use my amp and said that his insurance will handle the incident, no worries...
  12. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Hasn't happened to me.
    Nor has anyone of the very few people who I have lent my rig to managed to kill mine.

I'm very reluctant to use anyone elses rig (or PA for that matter) because I know I wouldn't be able to leave without compensating for the loss. To make matters worse, I've been on the suport act role for the most of my gigs, so blowing up something would automatically mean that the rest of the acts would suffer considerably as well.

What You did though is beyond anything that's a norm today, so very nice move.

Regards
    Sam
  13. jbd5015

jbd5015 Cool cars & Bass guitars Supporting Member

That is actually a pretty funny story man! I'm glad you were able to help him out in the end. I've let a couple openers play my v4b rig with out issue. Majority of the time it's way bigger than anything they're used too. Directly related to how loud the guitars are in respective bands haha. And we aren't that loud really!

-Jeff
  14. IPYF

IPYF

It's a good thing you did, replacing his unit. That was the right thing to do.

When someone uses my stuff at a show it's under the provision that while they're using it it's their responsibility to protect it. I'd expect the same of myself if I busted something that someone else owned.
  15. thedudebrah

thedudebrah Supporting Member

That's really standup of you, props.

As an owner of an 810 and an SVT, people are constantly asking to use my rig. If they're polite, I'll offer the cab, but never the head (after one bad experience). What bothers me is that if I let one person use it, everyone else on the bill assumes they can too.

This has kind of caused me to be really against equipment sharing. As a three piece, we can set up and break down in less that 5 minutes, even on small stages. I prefer to not use others equipment and I'd prefer they don't use mine.
  16. IPYF

IPYF

I'm always prepared to share, because I've been on the receiving end of people who wont. But it's a serious issue on both sides.

One time I went interstate without gear because the promoter promised me an organised backline only when I got there I discovered that his idea of an organised backline was the assumption that surely one of the other bands on the bill would be willing to share. They weren't, and I ended up having to go into the desk.

On the other side of the coin I took my rig interstate one time and got on the receiving end of the same thing. I ended up having all 11 bands on the bill running through my cab. Several of the bassists picked me out and ran me through what they were going to do with the cab and I was thrilled that they had bothered to talk to me about it. Several others just assumed it was fair game, and set up on it without bothering to come talk to me and that burned me pretty hard. Problem for them is that I have a long memory.
  17. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

You handled it very well. Nice move.

I really need to find the pic of what I'm about to describe. If I do, I'll edit and post it.

I did a last minute fill-in show once a decade ago or so. I literally got called about 45 minutes before showtime. I tried to turn it down and told the guys I didn't have time to pack up my gear or anything. They said just wear what you have on and bring a bass. The rig was already on stage. Their bass player had already set up but had a family emergency come up. Anyway, I plugged into a Peavey (DynaBass maybe?) head and one of those cabs that had a 15 and two 10s or 8s or something like that. They kept telling me to turn up. I finally told them that it wasn't my rig and if THEY wanted to tweek the knobs feel free. But I wasn't going any louder on someone else's rig. So the lead singer turned the volume knob about 4000 degrees to the right..............

Then it happened. One of the finest moments of my 2 1/2 decade (so far) career as a bass player.

I blew a speaker. But I don't mean I just blew it. I blew it IN HALF! The top half of one of the little speakers fell back into the cab! The frame and everything had broken in two! The cone (basket, whatever) had torn in two. And there it was. The bottom HALF of the speaker was hanging there. OK it sucked. But at the same time it was AWESOME! How many of you can say that you blew a speaker IN HALF?????

I tell that story all the time. And I get the same reaction all the time. "Dude, that is awesome......seriously."
  18. Dr. Love

Dr. Love

Not quite...my rig allegedly took out the PA. I let another bass player on a multi-band show use my rig after we were done. The tuner mute got pushed while they were setting up. When they started, the sound guy maxed the bass channel out trying to get a signal. Someone on stage realized the bass amp was muted and pushed the button mid song. BOOOM!! then bass silence again. He said it was my fault because my amp blew up his PA (even though it was fine for our set).
  19. Greg_Shaw

Greg_Shaw

I have a pretty sturdy rig, I'm not kind to it, I don't baby it, but I do take care of it. I like to think that if it can stand up to what I do to it, most other folks will pose no threat. That being said, we all know that there are those out there who could probably dent an army tank. It is with those folks in mind that I no longer allow my gear to be used by anyone with the exception of a chosen few who 'sit in' now and then. Back to topic, if I broke anything that belonged to someone else, I would do exactly as you did.
  20. IPYF

IPYF

Really? Your fault?
    I'd be looking at the guy who turned the slider to maximum when he wasn't getting a signal. Of all the people in the room he's the one who's paid to know better.