1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Open D string louder when amplified.

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by ReiPsaeg, Dec 23, 2012.

1. ReiPsaeg

ReiPsaeg

When I amplify my double bass my open D string is much louder than any other note. This doesn't happen when I'm mic'ed or playing acoustically. So far I've tried equalization by cutting the lows, and muting the instrument by placing a rolled up towel between the top and the tail piece. Both of these have only helped marginally. Does anyone have any other advice or know what else might be the cause of this?

I realize that I might not get this perfectly evened out, but where it is it absolutely kills my control over the dynamics of the instrument.

Oh and I'm using a Shen SB80 bass (low end, I know, but it's what I could afford when I was in school), a Fishman full circle pickup with bridge adjusters, and playing through either an Ampeg B2-R with a 1x15 Cab, or various Behringer combos in rehearsal spaces.
  2. notabene

notabene

Is the "D" played on the A string any more resonant than surrounding notes? Does rotating the full circle a bit help?

Steven
  3. ReiPsaeg

ReiPsaeg

Oh yeah, I left that out. The D on the A string is fine relative to it's surrounding notes. Also, the other open strings and stopped notes on the D string don't seem to be affected by this.
  4. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Gold Supporting Member

Rei Psaeg,
    My A String was very resonant through the Underwood and Realist Pickups, When I changed to the Ehrlund EAP that more or less disappeared.

Ric
  5. gottliver

gottliver

Try muting the d string between the bridge and tailpiece. The resonance of it on my bass comes thru my pickup.
  6. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    I have the exact same problem.
    I notch it out.
  7. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    I found that a wolf eliminator, while helping my acoustic tone, created a really horrible resonance through the amp. Along similar lines, I'd eliminate the afterlength-mounted pickup jack if you've got one.
  8. ReiPsaeg

ReiPsaeg

What does that mean to "notch it out"?

That might be worth a try, the input is mounted on the afterlenghths of the D and A string. But what would I do with the jack, just leave it dangling there?
  9. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    My approach is to remove the plate that is used for hanging the jack to the afterlengths, wrap the jack in a couple layers of bike innertube rubber (in plentiful supply at my house) and secure it to the tailpiece with one of those velcro thingies for tying up cables.
  10. what the pluck

what the pluck

Hi,
    This means to identify the offending frequency then to pull it out using eq. Some equalisers will give you more control over how to do this. A notch filter usually allows you to adjust the "q" or width of the band you want to change.

Cheers
  11. dmusic148

dmusic148

For this reason, 'notching' won't work. It's a mechanical problem with the pickup/mounting.
  12. ReiPsaeg

ReiPsaeg

Oh yeah, "notching" with equalization. It's definitely a mechanical issue, but I had found that eq helped a little. I'm going to have a rehearsal where I need to amplify soon so I'll get to try these suggestions out then.
  13. ReiPsaeg

ReiPsaeg

Anyways, thanks for all of your help. After my gig tonight I seem to have solved my problem for now. I removed my pickup from the after lengths of my strings and attached it to the tail piece instead and now my open D sounds a lot better.