Open E "harmonic?"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Machiavelli, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Machiavelli

Machiavelli

I just got a new bass by mail and there's something odd about it.

Whenever I pluck the open E string, I swear there's a high-pitched harmonic that accompanies it. I've never even heard of something like this and tried a couple searches with no luck.

It's definitely heard acoustically (unplugged). It's loud enough that I cannot figure out if it is also coming through the amp, because I'm just playing on low volume with the practice amp. My feeling is that it is not coming through the amp.

Is there something in the setup that could cause this? I've put new strings, adjusted the neck, and fixed intonation (can't lower action b/c I can't find my stupid tool!).

Any guidance on this would be appreciated. It's so slight that I think I might be losing my mind!

...also my wife says she doesn't hear anything...so...um ya...it's a real possibility.

2. rickster4003

rickster4003

Perhaps it is the brightness of the new strings. Also having a new bass, the responsiveness of the wood might be brighter than your current one(s).

3. Machiavelli

Machiavelli

Good points, I might just need to let it settle a bit.

Wife still thinks I'm crazy...

4. Carl_D

Carl_D Guest

Could be a dud string, or it's not sitting on the witness points ( nut & saddle ) properly.... :confused:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

It's very possible. Actually, very likely.

Where are you plucking?

The closer to the bridge, the thinner the fundamental becomes and more of the harmonics come out. Also known as "brighter tone".

You could also be plucking at a Node, this will also excite the harmonic of that Node.

[​IMG]

7. Machiavelli

Machiavelli

I considered that, but it seems to be there regardless of where I pluck.

8. xroads

xroads

Have you checked the nut? Higher harmonics can be from a nut that has not been filed properly.

Also, it could just be that this bass has more overtones in general....

9. nanymoa

nanymoa

If it doesn't go away with time, try an old E string. If it's a flawed string it never goes away. Had that problem once of a loud trebly harsh secondary sound only in the E string, acoustically transmitted and non-occurring in the low B string. I thought it was my beatup bass rattling somewere and as it wasn't too noticeable through the amp i just didn't deal with it. But then I changed the strings for a really bright sounding fresh set of SS strings and it went away. Those are still on, and no rattle.

10. eukatheude

eukatheude

Try damping with your hand the part of the string that's between the nut and the tuner peg.

11. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Or It could be that the pickups are not set right and they just need to be lowered away from the strings. The magnetic fields in a pickup can pull a string slightly but enough to cause this sound. I have experienced this myself. Also the nut not being cut suggestion is also possible. Pluck the open string and put your finger lightly on the string above the nut and press gently if the sound goes away then it is the nut. And you can make the nut slot deeper just by running the string back and forth through the slot a couple times until it is right.

12. michele

michele

Bad string, improper string installment, bad nut or bad bridge saddle.

13. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

Or - a piece of hardware vibrating at harmonic frequency? Check the springs on the bridge saddle screws and anything else that might be vibrating. (That would explain the loud acoustic component)

14. OzzyGreg

OzzyGreg Supporting Member

Maybe check to make sure that string's not twisted?

15. BrBss

BrBss Previously brendanbassist Supporting Member

I vote twisted string or string too close to pickups.

16. Salamenster

Salamenster

Had it too. With Fender Nickel strings FM250 or something. Went to Rotosounds. It's gone now.

17. Machiavelli

Machiavelli

Thanks for all the help with this.

I tried a number of different possible problems, but finally just put in a new string...

It looks as if the string was the culprit! I'm not 100% sure, because I do sorta still hear it, but it's not nearly as noticeable as it was before and is just no longer an issue. It seems that it was never coming through the amp regardless (just unplugged).

I don't completely understand how a string could cause it in the first place, so I thought it might have been a bad installation by me. But, I reinstalled the old string and it came back, bright as ever....

Regardless, thanks!