1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Open Pot Slot..What to do with it..

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SleazeBass, Feb 8, 2013.

1. SleazeBass

SleazeBass

I have a Ibanez SB900le that im putting passive pickups in, for those that dont know it was sent out as an active bass with 4 pots, seeing as ill only need 3 now what should I do with this extra slot...lets do some frankensteining!

2. TwinBass

TwinBass

Series / Parallel switch?

3. Hactar

Hactar

Series/Parallel sounds nice, also, killswitch or mute switch?

4. LongHairFreak

LongHairFreak Supporting The Gold

After mixing things up a bit, I had an open position on my pg, so I had a Stellartone Tonestyler installed. To be honest, I'm not particularly impressed with my decision, but you asked what could be done and certainly another would feel their bass differently than I. So, there you go.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Rodger Bryan

Rodger Bryan Supporting Member

I once installed a "dummy" switch in a Westone- a bright, red plastic momentary button from Radio shack. When asked about it, I called it an eject button, turbo booster, remote electric bidet switch, etc.

7. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

^awesome!

the tonestyler is not a bad idea, you could use it with a regular tone knob; the tonestyler basically replaces the cap in the tone pot circuit (that's what it is, a set of different caps you select between); choose the cutoff frequency with the tonestyler knob, turn it down with the tone knob.

8. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

Dummy switch that does nothing but occupy the void. Call it a panic button or mojo booster.

9. abemo

abemo

I've been meaning to add a pot to one of my basses that would be a low pass distortion (like a tone knob, but distorts the high freqs instead of rolling them off). Still working on the finish of the ax in question though, so I couldn't tell you how it sounds.

10. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

That is cool.

11. Bo_H

Bo_H

Had one myself. Called it a "mojo" knob.

12. eddododo

eddododo

Add a switchable buffer- not a preamp but jfet buffer or something to prevent tonesuck from cable runs

13. eddododo

eddododo

Or a hpf ! I have a few I built lying around

14. two fingers

two fingers You tahkin 'uh me? Yeah, you. You tahkin 'uh me? Supporting Member

Put beer in the control cavity. Stick a straw in the hole. Enjoy!

15. Cadfael

Cadfael

Beer is always an excellent solution ... :D

But an even better solution might be the "mojo" knob.

"I have $10 left. What shall I do with it?"
    "Save it and wait until you know what you are missing / need ..."

A wrote a compilation with more than 300 wiring diagrams.
    I did this to show "historic bass wiring evolution" AND because people have diffenent needs.
    I was born in the early 1960s and so I witnessed the 1980s with its "switch as switch can" mentality (and joined it). My personal experiance:

KISS!
    Keep It Shot & Simple.
    Build in what you need - but nothing more ...
    Knowing the setting of your instrument in 0.5 seconds is more important / usefull than many possibilities.

16. 4001

Get it wired it for stereo & mono out, Rickenbacker style. Of course, you'll need a second amp but the tone possibilities will be incredible. You'll thank me later.

17. Cadfael

Cadfael

Hi 4001,

but only if you have two channels at the mixer and if the man at the mixer is willing to make the bass stereo. And the second question is what the audiance in the left or right may think - as they don't know how the bass sounds on the other side of the room ...

18. plankspanker13

plankspanker13

...or call it a "sound guy/producer switch," for those occasions when you need to mindf**k such people.

19. 4001

At all of the gigs I've played using that rig I've been able to get two channels citing one is clean and one is effects and I don't think it goes left and right so much as both channels used make for just a better sound altogether. I havent been turned down on it....yet....

And.......it's great for recording. Think about it...

20. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging! Supporting Member

My next build will use passive p'ups with an R/C network to prevent the tone from changing when I adjust the volume, and three knobs: volume, passive tone control, and a high-pass filter to cut the rumble to suit the cabs and venue. And the input jack will be near the strap pin! ;)

21. Meddle

Meddle

On board effects loop!

Or just put a random knob on there. Turn it in a psuedo-meaningful manner during gigs to confuse bassists in the audience.