Opening bands that change their name on you

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by SnowCal, Jan 30, 2013.

1. SnowCal

SnowCal

Playing a show in a couple weeks and the opening band is doing it's debut so we figured 'cool, they'll draw all their friends'.

Unfortunately they just decided that their name wasn't original enough so they changed it. Which means we need to fix all the fliers and show listings and stuff.

What's worse is that their new name is genuinely awful. Hurt turnout bad. Their's and our's. We'd have a bigger crowd if they renamed themselves 'The Shoes' or 'Fetal Kick' or 'Feedback' or 'Tennis Club'. 'Stroganoff' would probably be better.

So, I'm feeling pretty unmotivated to fix the bill right now. Is that reasonable? Would you?

2. 4Banger4

4Banger4

No way. I wouldn't change the flier unless you think they would draw a large crowd... but they just changed their name so no ones going to know who they are anyway... I'd leave it.

3. bolophonic

bolophonic

No way would I re-do the flyer in a situation like that. I'd update the Facebook page, maybe.

4. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

It's really up to them. If they want their new name on they flyers, let them pay for them.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 1954bassman

1954bassman

I personally would not go to a lot of trouble. Once you have got rid of all the original handbills, then think about making a new one with their new name. As far as their new name being lousy or dumb, what's new? Most bar band names stink.

7. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

This.

8. jaywa

jaywa

I agree, it was their decision to change the name so any changes to promo materials that would cost money are on their dime.

If they're starting out as indecisive and unprofessional as this, I doubt they're destined for a very long life on the scene anyway.

The lameness of the new name they've chosen is actually the bigger issue. Especially if it could legitimately affect turnout and if you're playing for the door.

This is one of the biggest reasons (among several) why I much prefer to be the only band on the bill on any given night.

9. boynamedsuse

boynamedsuse

No apostrophes needed.

[/grammar check]

:bag:

+1

10. SnowCal

SnowCal

Cool. Then the flier stays.

This is originals, btw, not covers.

But yeah, it's not really about the hassle of remaking the flier. It's more of a 'your new name is awful and it's gonna hurt turnout'. I'd be up for fixing the flier if that weren't the case. But I have no motivation to do that work if it's just gonna hurt turnout.

11. Mr. Sound

Mr. Sound Supporting Member

Check the spelling of your own band's name.. If that's right, sit back, knock the top off a stubby, put your feet up on the esky, turn on the cricket and relax! (you may have to move to Aus to do this)

Attached Files:

12. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Awful names dont hurt turnouts. People show up to see the bands they know.
    Awful bands hurt turnouts.

13. SnowCal

SnowCal

Oh sure they do. Names matter inasmuch as they need to not utterly suck.

There's a venue here that only does shows but also has its own draw. A lot of local bands use it as a test for names. 'If X band that you've never heard before was playing would you go see them?' Your name doesn't have to be great to pass that test. Most do. But this band's new name is on the opposite end of the spectrum. It sounds like a decent name for a low caliber reggae tribute band. Which is bad for our billing.

Because I know that I'm not the only person that looks at a bill and says 'I'd like to see these guys but that sounds terrible'.

14. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

lemme guess...........is it The Mob Barley Experience? :D

15. SnowCal

SnowCal

I wish. No, the name actually makes me think of Ziggy Marley, his kid. Not good. They won't even accidentally draw the reggae crowd.

16. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I just read this whole thread without learning the good or bad name of the opening band, or the name of the featured band.

What a waste of time.

17. jaywa

jaywa

The opening band's bassist might be on TB so thats why the OP wouldnt want to name names. Which I can totally understand.

18. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

19. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

I disagre. There are a lot of bands out there with names that suck, who can still draw well.
    An awful name might turn off someone who has never seen the band before, but there are a lot of people not interested in bands theyve never heard before simply because they havent heard of them.

'If X band that you've never heard before was playing would you go see them?'

No. Whether their name is great or not doesnt matter, Ive never heard of them. A great name doesnt inspire me to see a band, and a bad one doesnt deter me.

If your premise were true, then no band with an awful name would have ever made it, and there are plenty of bands with awful names who have.

20. malthumb

malthumb Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Have some fun with it. When you guys introduce them, say something like.....We were planning to have {original band name} here to play for you tonight, but their drummer couldn't make bail. But we were lucky enough to get {new, but sucky band name} to fill in on short notice. Besides, these guys are waaaay better than {original name}, so kick back and enjoy {new, but sucky band name}

21. oniman7

oniman7

Update the Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, whatever your venue is, and make a public announcement on your social media sites that the name has changed but the songs remain the same. As far as re-flyering, if they're already out and distributed, forget about it. I'd change it if you were at the proof stage or only had so many done already, but at this point it would be an expensive choice without any real reward for the cost.