1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Opera work

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by NickyBass, Dec 7, 2012.

1. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

I have been researching and speaking to people, but I would like to get some more opinions. I am currently making a list of goals, and would love to work towards finding a steady gig playing opera music (among other things). Does anyone have any expierience or knowledge that you could share about this? I am not looking for a top-tier opera company, but I would like to find a professional postion. This is part of my long term goal, but I want to start gathering as much info as I can.
  2. chicagodoubler

chicagodoubler

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, Genz Benz
    With the exception of the big boys like the Met and Lyric, many US companies are part time or drastically seasonal in nature. The majority of folks in these positions work other gigs and/or teach.

Note that there is a totally different audition list from the orchestral side. Make sure you can nail Othello in your sleep!!!
  3. TAShepherd

TAShepherd

Europe has many more options for full-time opera companies. The UK alone has around 5 full time groups.
    The rep is entirely different as mentioned. See if you can get a hold of some Britten and Wagner parts, too.
    Performing with singers constantly is quite an enriching experience on whole.
  4. bassist14

bassist14

But it becomes a little different after 50+ shows of The Fledermaus :atoz:
  5. NickyBass

Thanks for the replies guys! I am open to seasonal work. By 'steady', I just mean that I would like to be part of a company that performs every year; whether it be one month or twelve.
  6. NickyBass

Anyone else have any advise/info/stories/etc?
  7. PaulCannon

PaulCannon

There aren't many companies in the US which pay a livable salary, and when those positions come open they are very competitive. The best thing you can do is be very serious about playing the bass as well as you can and keep working to improve your abilities.

I love playing operas, but I wouldn't want to limit myself given that there are so few positions available and so many other great opportunities as a classically-trained bassist. If you're not adverse to leaving the country, there are many more fantastic opera companies in Europe worth auditioning for if they're ever open to international candidates.

You should also try to get on the sub list for any opera companies in your area. I've had the good fortune to play with the Houston Grand Opera for several productions and it has always been immensely gratifying and educational. They don't call often enough to pay the bills, but when they do the money is good and the music is amazing.
  8. NickyBass

Thanks for the info, Paul. My main goal is to play more music that I love. Even if I can pick up a few gigs a year, I would be happy. My long term goals include other genres and situations, but opera is an area where I am just looking for more guidance from those who have experience.
  9. PaulCannon

PaulCannon