1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Opinion :Model J or Ultra Jazz with Outboard Preamp

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Makatak, Feb 5, 2013.

Recommended P-Bass Upgrade Pickup

Poll closed Apr 13, 2013.
  1. Di Marzio Model P

34 vote(s)
    26.8%
  2. DiMarzio Will Power

6 vote(s)
    4.7%
  3. Seymour Antiquity Precision

17 vote(s)
    13.4%
  4. Seymour Quarter Pounder

53 vote(s)
    41.7%
  5. Seymour Hot Precision

7 vote(s)
    5.5%
  6. Seymour Vintage Precision

19 vote(s)
    15.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Makatak

Makatak

Ive picked up a cheapo J Bass that plays great but needs a bit more honk, im using an Aguilar DB924 with my G&L JB2 and it kills , there is a set each of the Dimarzio`s available locally but I can obviously only buy/install one , to keep in the same " room " as my G&L ie. good mids AND a great slap tone , which set would be more appropriate and a good match for an outboard preamp boost ? . Thanks for any advice .

2. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

Neither. I would go with a proper single coil, and there are many good choices out there.

3. Makatak

Makatak

Of course ! I see your point , a set of single coils and a good sheilding job would be in keeping with my tone , there are some BassLines quarter Pounders available , might go down that road ....

4. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Quarter Pounders sound very different than most single coils.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. sheltjo6

sheltjo6

I used to have a set of Ultra J pickups in my Warmoth jazz bass. I Did not like them. These pickups have a mid scoop tone, which made it difficult to hear when playing live.

7. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

that G&L has straight-up vintage-style single coil jazz pickups, right?

if you like those, and hum isn't an issue for you, then there's no reason to go with humbuckers.

8. Toptube

Toptube

if you want some nasty honk in the best way, the model J's are tough to beat.

9. GeoffByrne

GeoffByrne

Model J's wired internally in series - done.

G.

10. walterw

good pickups, but the OP says he likes his G&L with vintage-style J pickups, and these would be way different.

11. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah Go Team Sea Slug!! Supporting Member

Media:
    You can set them up to have an series/parallel switch on them or take them to a luthier who would know how to set it up correctly. Honestly, the pickups REALLY smoke in a very good way. The series mode still sounds VERY much like a jazz bass, you just have more volume and mids, which is exactly what you want in your tone. The slap tone can be amazing in series mode, but you have to really scoop out the mids or it's going to thunder when you slap. The upside is you have all kinds of cut when you want it, but just have to EQ your amp to get a meaty, ballsy slap tone.

I'm at work at the moment, but I can do some sound clips of mine later on tonight if I have the time. I'll PM them to you.

12. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

I voted for Quarter Pound because I have put them in three Precisions with excellent results.

...then I read the posts and find out the OP is really talking about Jazz Bass pickups.:meh:

In that case, the best sounding J pickups I've personally encountered are SD Antiquity II models.

13. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6
    Well if you went with a set of Duncans....I would suggest SPB-1 P pickup and for a J pickup the STK-2J's nice tones and quiet. Just a thought good luck with decision.

14. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

You've got a bunch of great pickups listed here and I have experience with 3 of them.
    They are all great quality wise, it really depends on the tone you are looking for and a referendum won't tell you that. All of them can do slap tone with good mids.
    If you really want a cut through slap tone, the DiMarzio P would be the ticket. It's got hot (high output) so it might not play nice with the other pickup.

Also consider the Aguilar AG4p-60, it's a fantastic pickup which strikes a wonderful balance between the Antiquity II and the SPB-1. I did not think Aguilar could burst in the rarified world of pickups, knowing they make pretty much everything well except bass guitars but they did. A rising star for sure.

15. Makatak

Makatak

Thanks for your replies guys , yes I accidentally attached this poll to a j Bass thread of mine sorry [ ended up getting some Ultra Jazz BTW ] . In the market now for some P Pups :)

16. skruch

skruch

Do yourself a favor and look at John Worrell's offerings. http://www.jworrellbass.com/ REALLY wonderful stuff and really reasonably priced.

17. walterw

and?

do you like the ultras? how would you compare them to the G&L with the vintage-style jazz pickups?

18. atomicdog

atomicdog Supporting Member

I popped a Fender Custom ('60s) Pup into an Am Std. Can't complain. Doesn't have the clarity or the mids that people say comes from a Quarter Pounder.

19. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

As for the Duncans I would stay away from the Antiquitys unless you want a vintage sound. I just pup them in a n 87' MIK P bass and they are good but not mindblowing. I will say they were sounding good at practice last night over the stock but its a "WOW" type of pup. I also used 1/4 pounders in the past and they were just OK IMO.

I think me using Duncan pups are over now. I don't feel they have really been worth the money to me.

20. Cottee

Cottee

Disclosures:
    KSM Foundation Bridge, KSM Music Logan, Utah
    I too voted for Quarter Pound as that is what I have in my P bass and I love it. I did try the J shape one in a Jag bass and did not like it. So I would take my vote back for the J style pickup.