1. Please note: We are performing several software upgrades tonight, Sept 29th. Please bear with us. You may notice some formatting issues and other bugs.

Opinion needed: Pigtronix EP2 vs separate EF and Phaser

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by PENLIYL, May 10, 2012.

1. PENLIYL

PENLIYL Supporting Member

Trying to decide between the Pigtronix EP2 or the 3Leaf GR2 and a SubDecay Baby Quasar.

I'd rather buy the Pig and get a 2fer in one pedal, save some dough and board real estate, but I wanted to get some opinions from TB'ers that have the Pig EP2. Is it good at being both an Envelope Filter and Phaser, better than one vs the other or suck at both?

Thanks in advance for any responses to this post.

2. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Casting out the nines Supporting Member

One thing to keep in mind with the Pigtronix is that it's an envelope PHASER and not a straight envelope filter.

So it will always have that wet phaser sound to it when using it in EF mode. And in LFO mode it's a Uni-vibe style phaser, thick and pulsey. I've tried the EP2 but never owned it though I had an EP1 for a long time and really dug it.

It's a great sounding pedal, but you'll have more versatility with a Groove Regulator and Baby Quasar setup. You can even emulate the Pigtronix sound by running the 3Leaf into the Subdecay.

So I guess my recommendation is a solid "I don't know". It really depends on what you want to get out of a phaser and filter, what kind of music you play and your own preferences.

3. morrisonhendrix

morrisonhendrix Supporting Member

I've had the GR1, MXR BEF, and DOD FX25b, have the Nano Small Stone, have the EHX Qballs, and have the EP-2. Hands down, get the EP-2. I love it. I do like the filter on the Qballs a hair better (I have both on my board), but you can't beat the EP-2. I like the phaser better than any I've had. Like Jared mentioned, it's a very wet filter and phaser. Very customizable. I think the phaser is brighter than the Nana Small Stone, not as dark, which I like.

4. PENLIYL

Glad I asked. I thought the EF and Phaser in this pedal could work independently or together.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

the envelope trigger and the LFO-controlled phase shifting CAN work together on the EP-2

7. morrisonhendrix

They can work independently. The EF can be turned on separately and so can the LFO/phaser.

8. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story Supporting Member

I use an EP-2 and GR, sometimes at the same time, and they sound awesome together :bassist:

9. PENLIYL

Cool. Thanks for the feedback. Just my luck there is one for sale on the FS board so I will see if I can grab it.

10. enjoi1018

enjoi1018 Supporting Member

This was my setup (well, a GR2 anyway) and it was sooooo sick. If I had the real estate and extra power cord for my PP2+ I'd have one back in a second.

That thing was SERIOUSLY funky and spacey. Very musical as well. You won't be disappointed if you choose it!

And, if for some reason you don't like when stuff just sounds like angels in perfect harmony then you can turn it over on here in 24 hours, no prob bob.

11. PENLIYL

Well I took the plunge and bought an EP2 off TB. Looking forward to trying this sucker out. Got to order a Y cable now for my PP2 PS so I can run this thing on my board.

Thanks again guys for all the feedback on this post. Love this forum.

12. morrisonhendrix

You'll love it! I'm sure you're familiar with filters, but remember, you'll need to adjust your bass eq settings and the EP-2 to dial in exactly what you want. It should come with a little instruction/getting started leaflet. Go through the little tour it gives you and listen to the variety of sounds you can get.

Let us know how you like it after giving it a little time. I actually loved mine from the minute I turned it on and haven't looked back.

13. newbold

newbold

I really dig my EP-1 and like using it as a boost with various combinations of dirt.

You'll find some great uses for it. Make sure you get an expression pedal for the sweep control. It's entirely more useful than one for the speed control for this guy. Control how much you want the EF/LFO to open up/effect.

The Stacatto function is awesome but why did they take away the stomp switch for phase invert? On the EP-1 it turns the pedal into a totally different flavour of phaser.

Here's to your pedalboard having one slightly larger pedal instead of 2 regular sized pedals.

14. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    +1.

It will not completely replace either of the two units you described, but rather is like a more versatile cousin of the two. If you're okay (and it sounds like you are since you ordered one) with not having a specific filter/phaser sound, but rather having something similar that is a cool beast in its own right, it's worth checking out.

15. PENLIYL

Finally got my EP2. Been at it for a few hours and it's just not for me. IMO its not really good at being an envelope filter or phaser when used individually. I like the combo setting when they are both engaged, but I can get that with 2 separate pedals like a few posts have mentioned.

I'm going to play with this over the weekend and see if my impression changes. If not its going up for sale next week.

Thanks for all the opinions on this post.

16. Unrepresented

Media:
    Just out of curiosity, did you follow the walkthrough guide that's in the instruction manual? I found some pretty good tones in there.

17. PENLIYL

Yep. A few times. It's not a bad pedal at all. Definitely the sweet spot is in combo mode. Been back at it this morning trying out the pedal by itself with both a passive and active bass. I think the weak spot on this pedal is the EF. Not as responsive as I want and that's with the bass volume cranked and playing hard, slap, fingers and pick.

18. morrisonhendrix

The EF is not quite as good as my Qballs, but pretty darn close. I actually like the phaser by itself, which is why I'm selling my Small Stone Nano (still a great little pedal). I found it to be a little brighter and not as muddy as the Nano. Yes, together, they are very cool.

19. RCCollins

did an EP-2 replace your psilocybe?

20. Unrepresented

Media:
    The EP-2 took its place at our show on Monday, mostly to test it out live. I like them both, especially the bells and whistles of the Pigtronix, but being limited to "chewy" LFO style may be a dealbreaker. I am still in an early [del]phase[/del] testing period with it.

21. RCCollins

Oof, ya PUNched me in the gut there.

It's true that the EP-2 won't quite cop the slippery wet sound of the psilocybe, but you might try limiting the range to a narrow-ish band of the upper frequency and you can lose its chew for shimmer. The width and frequency controls are REALLY powerful. I would LOVE to see a second, 12- or 16-stage mode on an eventual successor in the EP series...