Opinion On Luthier Jeffrey Yong

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by SlapPopBass, Sep 8, 2013.

1. SlapPopBass

SlapPopBass

I'm not too sure where exactly to put this, but has anyone heard of Malaysian luthier Jeffrey Yong? Does anyone have any experience building basses with him? How are his basses? I understand a certain TBer that goes by the name Maurizio (I think that's how you spell it) has built basses with him and has experience working with him, is it? Would anyone recommend going into his guitar making course? Interested to bits as I am in learning the ins and outs of my favorite instrument, money is abit hard to come by for me, especially if you take into account the exchange rate of my country. (I remember I read somewhere its $3000, so that would total up to roughly 10000 in my currency, ouch) Is it worth it to learn under him? I've heard lots of good things about his acoustic guitars, can the same be said for his basses?

2. Reticle

Reticle Supporting Member

miziomix = Maurizio. I don't know about Mr. Yong, but Maurizio builds some really nice basses.

3. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

If he was Maurizio's teacher then I would be all over it if I were you. Maurizio is in the upper echelon of the builders that hang around TB

4. miziomix

miziomix Über on my mind Supporting Member

I just found this. Even though we have already spoken I will answer here just the same, in case someone else is interested.

Jeffrey Yong is a great luthier and his guitars truly are world class. I have learned most of what I know from Jeffrey. If luthiery is best learned from a good mentor, I can only wholeheartedly recommend taking Jeffrey's guitar building course.

Having said that, since everything should be put in perspective, here are a few things worth considering.

If one's goal is to own the best possible axe his money can buy, then he should probably buy one. 3000 bucks gets you some serious stuff, especially on the second hand market. Bass building classes are for those driven by the desire to build their very own bass hands on and who cares if it's not a famous brand. If you are one of those, do go ahead. You won't regret it.

It's also important to remember that, learning takes time. A two week building class can only give a taste of what is all about.

To answer to your other question: Jeffrey builds acoustics mostly. That's his forte and what he has dedicated his life to. He can build a classic bass design (say, Fender-like) with his eyes closed. If OTOH, one wants to build a bass that has all the tricks and subtleties of contemporary bass design and plays/sounds like one, then one should do his homework. Jeffrey can help build anything beyond standard, providing you know what you want and that - I would assume - it can be done within the agreed time and cost.

So, you see, it's a matter of what you are after, really ;)

Maurizio

ps: if I am not wrong you are supposed to bring your own hardware and electronics. Jeffrey will provide all the woods, tools, glue, frets et al.

oh........ Reticle, Hopkins... you guys are so very kind. Thank you!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SlapPopBass

SlapPopBass

Oh dear, this may pose a problem. Hardware and electronics I have almost no access to. My life is over...... :bawl:

7. miziomix

miziomix Über on my mind Supporting Member

I'm sure Jeffrey can assist. Talk to him.