Opinion please on my future set up...good idea bad idea

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by tonytheleg, Oct 19, 2013.

1. tonytheleg

tonytheleg

Hello everyone.

I would love to get some advice on something, and I just couldn't find an answer close enough to my questions on the forums so I thought I would just ask.

And to save discussion of brands I will not be mentioning them...because I'm not looking for advice on that and I know it will just get sidetracked

First of all I'm a weekend warrior musician playing post punk/punk rock, and probably play maybe 2 shows a month. Its a fun hobby for venting and I have a good time...so I'm not keen to spend a ridiculous amount of money.

I've set my heart on a 550 watt tube amp that I love and can get for a great price, but my concern is the cab. I've been looking at 8x10s on Craigslist and in my area there is usually a boat load running from $300-$500 which I can do, I'm just not going to by a new one for double that. The concern comes in that the cab is 800rms and the amp is 550 so do you think thats too big of a gap?

I understand that there is a whole history/argument about overpower/underpower, but has anybody here used that kindof wattage on an cab that big? if so how long? was the quality good? issues?

Id be fine with even getting a 6x10 because those are 600rms which would be a better gap, but they are hard to find used, and while i found one I like for $600 new id rather not spend the extra $200 or so if i dont have to. But if it means leaps and bounds in quality and longevity its worth it to me too, and its hard to get a clear answer.

Thank you for any advice. Ive been playing guitar for years but bass is kind of new for me and I just want to step in the right direction...because bass is slowly taking over my love for guitar. All that rawness makes me want to punch down entire walls! Inset manly grunts here
  2. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

There are no Tube amps that are 550 watts

There is NO such thing as underpowering.
  3. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

Short answer... You'll be fine with the 810. Better than fine actually.
    For years the golden standard has been a 300 watt Ampeg SVT with the 810.

More speakers means your amp has to work less to get the volume. You would be surprised how loud a GK MB200 is through one of those 810's. Lol! Looks funny though.
  4. tonytheleg

tonytheleg

I apologize...its Pre-amp tube...not power tube
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tonytheleg

tonytheleg

And thats why i was wondering, because most stores they have the 300 watt SVT sitting on top but all that underpower/overpower crap makes it hard to decide and well frankly I dont have the past experience. Thank you!!
  7. René_Julien

René_Julien

First off, welcome to the world of bass. :)
    I'm both guitarist (electric, acoustic and classical) and bassist, and can't seem to choose. Luckily there is no law against playing it all.

There is a big difference between guitar amps and bass amps, especially when it comes to cabs.

You are thinking of a "gap" between the power of an amp and the power a cab can handle. That kind of thinking is irrelevant.
    You can use a 20W head with a 1000W rated cab, and you can use a 1000W head with a 20w rated cab. (For example.)
    Of course the second case can be dangerous if you turn the power up too much.
    But the first case, a head with low power into a cab with speakers with high thermal rating is no problem. There is no such thing as underpowering.

So your idea of a 550W head (which is a hybrid I assume) into a 8x10 cab would certainly be a loud rig. It's the total amount of speaker area that is very important for volume and low end response.
  8. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    You may be speaking of the GK fusion 550?? That's. Hybrid with a tube preamp and a class D?? power amp. The difference will come from the ohms of the cab and how much that amp you have will push into a 2, 4 or 8 ohm load. So specific brand names or values may help is give you a better answer/opinion.
  9. tonytheleg

tonytheleg

Its the Bugera BVP5500 which from description sounds like a hybrid (tube pre only). Specs say 550 watts peak over 4 ohms. I figured that was more than enough for an 810 but you always here conflicting info when you talk gear. Thank you all for the help!
  10. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables, Dirtbag Clothing
    I run a 300 solid state head through a 810 all the time.
  11. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

I use a 412 cab (rated input 1200 watts) with the Fusion 550 (BTW it is class H not D, same power amp as the 1001RB II) that is rated at 500 watts @4 ohms. "Most times" if the cab is rated to take more power than the amp is rated to put out it is a good thing.
  12. Cirk

Cirk

You should do just fine running that amp into an 8x10, just make sure you wear hearing protection. In reality, peak watts are smoke and mirrors. The gurus here can tell you what the RMS output of that amp really is.
  13. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

That Bugera is likely to put out no more than 250 watts RMS with 1% distortion with a frequency range of 20Hz-20KHz. Probably less.

I have a Bugera NUKE rated at 10,000 Watts Peak. I did extensive tests and a quality review on it here on TB. You can google search my user name and Brgera Nuke to find it but it was revealing to find out the actual power output compared to Bugeras ratings.
  14. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

+1 I'd reconsider the amp. Bugera is Behringer. 550 watts PEAK is likely 200-250 watts RMS. Better to find a good used amp with a better reputation in the 500 watt RMS range. And +1, underpowering is mythology, pure and simple.
  15. tonytheleg

tonytheleg

Any recommendations? I'd really like to keep it under $400 max. I liked the Portaflex but I actually preferred a behringer 4400 more. I agree though that I'm gonna pay for a 550 watt I should get closer to that. I've been happy with behringer in the past but that was more speakers and PA's
  16. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Union card-carrying liberal academic musician
    $600 is way more realistic than $400, assuming we are talking about used gear in the USA.

I'd snag a used Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 (typically ~$300) or a Gallien Krueger MB500. Then for a cabinet, I'd consider a pair of 210's or a good 4 ohm 410. Ampeg, Eden, SWR, Epifani, EA, Avatar, Bergantino all make good cabs. Find a used one on your local craigslist, or check the Talkbass classifieds. I have found GREAT used gear on TB.

You don't need 810's to have a huge sound.
  17. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

I hear you on feeling like blowing walls down. Tone is important too.

1st off, how is the market for post punk punk rock where you live? The ideal rig for tonefully blowing walls down depends on whether you have PA, how loud your band is on stage, and how big the audience is.

A $600 budget only covers so much while maintaining the fidelity of wall blowing. Bugera ain't in the picture due to dodgy specs and reliability. Used is the way to go to make noise on a budget.

8x10 beams highs up the middle and loses tone at the sides. Only good for big stages with the PA playing to at least 300, even then you need to moderate your stage volume to avoid monkeying with the house sound too much.

As repeatedly mentioned, forget about underpowering!
  18. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

Agree 200%

19. tonytheleg

tonytheleg

My biggest concern is stage volume. Sometimes we play real small places where I can hear just fine on my current 200w combo...but bigger places my stage volume is drowned out even with the PA going but that's more than likely cuz I play on too small an amp for big places. Ive heard the Ampeg 810 used by many bands with very different styles and always loved its sound. I would rather the 610, but I just cant justify paying almost $1000 when there are 4 810's in my area for $300-$450. I would go with a 4x10 if the price is right and it could handle a lot so the volume was loud enough, but I havent seen many with a high rms except an Eden, and I wasnt too keen on the sound. A little too grumbly.
  20. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Reading between the lines your stage volume isn't at all moderated and an 8x10 would not be getting PA support unless playing some massive club. Iirc kringle77 has about $200 apiece into beta12 equipped 2x12 pair. He crossfires his but generally you get best dispersion stacking them up tall.
  21. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:

I gig a 410 rig and play to rooms of 150 to 200 people and an plenty loud and have more headroom and cab to spare.