1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Opinion wanted.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PhillipCarr, Mar 6, 2014.

1. PhillipCarr

PhillipCarr

Mar 3, 2014
    G&L Tribute L2500 vs Ibanez SR755. GO!

2. Completely different beasts. That's like saying, "Corvette or Jeep. Go!"

Corvette if I'm street racing, jeep if I'm off-road racing.

I'd pick the L2500, though. ;)

What kind of music do you play? What kind of sound are you looking for?

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

4. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Are you looking at buying these or just trying to drum up conversation? What kind of music do you play? Have you tried either of these?

5. PhillipCarr

PhillipCarr

Mar 3, 2014
    Wanting to buy. Play mostly music at church. Hymns and some newer stuff. Not strummy worship, though.

6. PhillipCarr

PhillipCarr

Mar 3, 2014
    Thanks Temcat. What's your reasoning? Thanks!

At fourstringbliss, which is the 'Vette, and which is the Jeep?

7. I guess you could say that the Ibby is the Corvette and the L2500 is the Jeep, but I only said that to show how different the two are.

The Ibanez has a very thin and light body, and a thin and narrow neck. The body is mahogany and the neck is jatoba. It has a 3-band active preamp and split-coil humbuckers.

Here's a bit of how it sounds.

The L2500 is either alder or ash and has big humbucking pickups. It's primarily a passive bass, but you can cut treble and bass - most people end up cutting some of the bass because the pups are hot! There is an active preamp, but it's more of a booster.

Here's a video about the G&L. The video is for the L2000 Tribute, but the pickups and preamp are the same. Here's another G&L video.

The Ibanez would be good for more modern tones. The G&L can be used for modern and also really shines in more vintage tones.

They both have fairly narrow string spacing.

I prefer the G&L because of the versatility of the different modes, and there are some awesome wiring mods available that make it even more versatile.

8. HeavyJazz77

HeavyJazz77 Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Virginia
    Very familiar with both... The G&L is far more flexible to that of the Ibanez.

Good luck.

9. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I'd prefer the G&L myself, however I think the Ibanez would have a more compressed tone that would be more subtle which might work better in a church environment. I think there's a praise bassist club (or something along those lines) where you'd probably get opinions closer to what you need.

10. G&L. I just like them more.

11. AndyW83

AndyW83

Feb 18, 2009
    I have an ibanez sr755 and all I can say is what an amazing bass for the money. Can't speak for the other one.

12. I found that using flatwounds tames the L2000/2500 for church use. I preferred Sadowsky or Labella Deep Talkin' flats.

13. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Albuquerque, NM
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Regenerate Guitar Works
    G&L. Overall, a more usable tone.

14. Yeah, honestly the Sr755 is kind of a one trick pony.

15. PhillipCarr

PhillipCarr

Mar 3, 2014
    What trick would that be?

16. The slightly jazzy/p-ish modern thing that sounds similar regardless of pickup and equal settings. The G&L has more different sounds.

17. A big part of it for me is that I don't like Bartolini MK1 pickups or preamps. I find the pickups a bit meh and the preamp is nothing to write home about. The pups on the L2500 are MUCH better. You can also mod the wiring so that you have a single-coil setting on the G&L pups which is really nice.

The ergonomics on the SR are great, though. Comfortable to play for sure.

18. PhillipCarr

PhillipCarr

Mar 3, 2014
    Thanks everyone for all the great info. My pops told me he prefers the G&L,too, but he's old enough to remember the originals. Ha! Sounds like the general consensus is G&L.

19. Apolicious

Apolicious

Jan 16, 2014
    Agreed on all counts. Ibanez's play and feel fantastic, but with that Bart setup every time I plug it in the only thing I can think is "Ok, it sounds like a bass." No character at all.