Opinions: Middle-of-the-road P/J: G&L Tribby SB-2 or Fender MP Jag?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Din Of Win, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Din Of Win

Din Of Win

Hey all,

I'm on the hunt for a $500ish P/J, and i've narrowed it down to a G&L Tribute SB-2 or a Fender Modern Player Jaguar.

I prefer the SB-2, but i'm reaaaaally not sure about the lack of tone control. I play anything from R&B to punk to musical theater, and my tone always gets a workout on my other basses. Is it an "easy" mod to do a non-invasive stacked Vol/Tone + Vol/Tone kind of setup?

Alternately, i like the Fender MP Jaguar, but it's still newish and i haven't heard much about it...

I'm also open to other stuff... i dig the Fender aesthetic, but i could totally sway towards something else, so long as it's a P/J. Is/was there a Spector Legend series in P/J, or just the H/H?

Thanks!
  2. Crater

Crater

I own a US SB-2 and I've never missed the tone control. My usual setting is to have the split pickup at 100% volume or close, then dial in a little bit of the bridge pickup. The first 10 - 20% of bridge volume doesn't make it brighter, but makes the tone deep and bassy, at least to me. :) I LOVE that sound!

If you have to have one, it's not that hard a mod, and if you use a stack pot you don't have to drill a hole.
  3. Pet Sounds

Pet Sounds

I loved my SB-2 and regret getting rid of it. Great bass. It gets my vote.
  4. VintageBoutique

VintageBoutique Banned

Without playing either one for a fair evaluation, I can say the whole concept of a cheaper G&L is all wrong. But a good bass is a good bass.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Toptube

Toptube

I wouldn't leave some of the squiers out. They just may surprise you. The VM Jag, as an example.