1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Opinions: Middle-of-the-road P/J: G&L Tribby SB-2 or Fender MP Jag?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Din Of Win, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Din Of Win

Din Of Win

Hey all,

I'm on the hunt for a $500ish P/J, and i've narrowed it down to a G&L Tribute SB-2 or a Fender Modern Player Jaguar.

I prefer the SB-2, but i'm reaaaaally not sure about the lack of tone control. I play anything from R&B to punk to musical theater, and my tone always gets a workout on my other basses. Is it an "easy" mod to do a non-invasive stacked Vol/Tone + Vol/Tone kind of setup?

Alternately, i like the Fender MP Jaguar, but it's still newish and i haven't heard much about it...

I'm also open to other stuff... i dig the Fender aesthetic, but i could totally sway towards something else, so long as it's a P/J. Is/was there a Spector Legend series in P/J, or just the H/H?

Thanks!
  2. Crater

Crater

I own a US SB-2 and I've never missed the tone control. My usual setting is to have the split pickup at 100% volume or close, then dial in a little bit of the bridge pickup. The first 10 - 20% of bridge volume doesn't make it brighter, but makes the tone deep and bassy, at least to me. :) I LOVE that sound!

If you have to have one, it's not that hard a mod, and if you use a stack pot you don't have to drill a hole.
  3. Pet Sounds

Pet Sounds

I loved my SB-2 and regret getting rid of it. Great bass. It gets my vote.
  4. VintageBoutique

VintageBoutique

Without playing either one for a fair evaluation, I can say the whole concept of a cheaper G&L is all wrong. But a good bass is a good bass.
  5. Toptube

Toptube

I wouldn't leave some of the squiers out. They just may surprise you. The VM Jag, as an example.