Opinions Needed

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by yeldarb69, Oct 19, 2013.

1. yeldarb69

yeldarb69 Supporting Member

If you had to choose between these two cabinet setups which would you take.A Bergantino NV425 or A Genz Benz Focus 115 with a Focus 210.I don't really use a tweeter and i can get both of these rigs for around the same price,with the Berg being used and the GB's being new (The Berg is roughly a $150 more).The rig will be paired with a GB Shuttle 6.2.I don't want this to turn into a 15's and 10's are a horrible combination pissing match.Just looking for some opinions.
  2. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

Berg NV425. I've never had enough stage volume with a 115 alone or a 210 alone.. Using the NV425 you will be able to make load-ins faster and I personally never liked the sound of a 115 and 210 together, even without considering the 15s and 10s pissing match :)
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Ditto on every point.
  4. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Agedhorse has stated that GB cabs are designed to play well with each other regardless of size miss match, however, the Focus IIRC is the lower end GB cabs?
    If I had the choice between a high end used cab and new lower end cabs. The high end cab would be the easy choice.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

+1 though I love GB's Uber line, the Focus cabs are more of a budget entry level design. The Berg is top notch, and you should never skimp on your spkr cab.
  7. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

I would choose the 115 + 210. They should cover small gigs and quite enough for any stage I play with PA. A 210 covers my rehearsals.

I don't need the volume from the giant cab or the beaming that comes with it. YMMV.
  8. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

I had the NV425 ... you'll be happy with it .... it was designed & built to sound/work as a unit ... kinda wish I didn't sell it ... the NV425 was NOT a beamy type of cabinet ... it always filled the room pretty evenly, within reason ...and it sounds good with just about any amp you will hook-up to it ... I giged with this cabinet for several years before I aquired a NV610 ... as to what it sounds like ...a NV215 and a NV610 ... as a side note your speakers are the connection to everyone who will hear you, why skimp on your sound ... the NV425 is one of the few cabinet designs (15 & 10 's ) that actually work
  9. yeldarb69

How does the 425 compare to the 610 ?
  10. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Beams worse :bag: do you know what beaming is? Do you care? It matters less for oldschool thumpy bass but if you want 800hz to 2k broadcast around, get the 210.
  11. R Briere

R Briere Bass-ically Yours Supporting Member

I'll Offer this Opinion Based on my Experiences over the Years.

This Does Require Thought Before Answering.

I Always Buy NEW when obtaining Gear I Need to Count on. I Buy Really Old and Smelling Like a Gym Bag When It Says SUNN on the Label.....and then Restore it.

Secondly....NOW/Today is the Perfect Time to Buy a Genz. You're Getting a Warranty and You Don't Have to Worry About How Many Proms It's Been To. :)

Why Buy New?

Have You Ever RENTED a Fancy Sports Car?.....the Automotive Equivalent of the Berg? What's the First thing you did with it IMMEDIATELY Upon Leaving Sight of the Rental Car Companies Office?
  12. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

I misread the op, and thought the Berg was a 215. So, nevermind that answer. No experience with *that* Berg cab, but if it's anything like Mesa's PH1200, pass on that.
  13. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

The NV610 is punchier
  14. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

Even in rehearsals, I've never been able to reach a happy volume with just a 210 or 115. Unless you play with a shy guitard (congrats) or a jazz group, I don't see either cab standing alone at a rehearsal or gig. Are you able to try both rigs out? If you're to pull the trigger without listening to them, I'd still lean towards the Berg.
  15. yeldarb69

Trying them out is not going to be possible,but it sure would make everything allot simpler.
  16. WaldoNova

WaldoNova Supporting Member

A lot of valid "opinions" in this thread. I recently bought a used Bergantino AE212. And , while it isn't the 425, my "opinion" is that you can't go wrong with the Bergantino. Genz Benz is quality stuff too. You have a tough decision but I don't think you can go wrong with either option. I'd go with the Bergantino. Good luck!!!
  17. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I generally automatically go to Genz-Benz because their stuff is fantastic. However, given the OP's options I'd go for the Bergantino. There's a lot of cab there and it will do much more than a single 15. (Although for what I play, a single 15 is quite sufficient.)

The Shuttle 6.2 is a wonderful amp and should be a sweet combo with the Berg.
  18. tbirdsp

tbirdsp Supporting Member

Everything is relative - I've ALWAYS been able to reach a happy volume at rehearsals or gigs with a single 15 - either my TC BG250 combo or a Genz Focus 115 with several different heads. In fact, I have a second Focus 115 but have never needed to use it.

The guitarists I play with (one per band) use tube combos though (Dr Z, Egnater, Fender) and usually just 112's - so no Marshall stacks. Not quiet by any means though.