1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

opinions of epiphone eb-3

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by unclebass, Dec 9, 2013.

1. unclebass

unclebass

I see one available on local craigslist. I am looking for something with a little different sound than either of my jazz basses. I know that there are complaints of neck dive, but I play 95% sitting down. I mainly want to know how the neck feels. I really like shallow necks, like Geddy Lee type shallow. I know that the Epiphone has a slightly wider neck, but is the depth shallow like a jazz? Any input is appreciated, I would like to know what to expect before I go and give it a try, so I don't waste this guys time.
  2. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

By depth do you front-to-back (fretboard-to-back of the neck), or are you talking about width of the fretboard?

Either way, I think the necks on these are pretty comfortable. I have an EB-0, and while it's the short scale version, I seem to recall it being comparable in width/depth to the EB-3. Just, you know, shorter. It's not jazz neck narrow, but it's at least as comfortable as my jazz. Neck dive is a thing for sure, especially on the full scale EB-3. If you're sitting don't worry. A wide, suede leather type strap helps, too.

You'll definitely get a different sound, just about opposite of what a jazz bass is. These basses are deep and muddy (hence the term "mudbucker" for the pickup), and that's the draw, of course. With the EB-3 you get the benefit of the bridge pup to even things out just a bit.

Another thing to note is that the stock neck pickup is very low impedance and very low output compared to a lot of other bass pups. There are several aftermarket options for a hotter signal, but I just turn up the volume on one of my preamp pedals when I play my EB-0.
  3. agent77

agent77 Tin Foil Hat Wearer Supporting Member

I like Jazz necks and the neck on my EB-3 is very comfortable. The Korean models are pretty well made.
  4. unclebass

unclebass

5. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

My EB-0 seems about the same as my MIM jazz. FWIW I've been having some grip/fatigue issues lately following a marathon bathroom renovation, and I played a 3-hour gig on the epiphone last weekend no problem.