Opinions of this demo track? (Metal content)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Hamlet7768, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

https://soundcloud.com/verbond-official/running-to-annihilation-demo

I did the bass, lead vocals, and the mixing. I know the mix is rough, but we didn't have a professional anything.

Tech notes: Guitar and bass are being recorded using Garageband's simulated amps. Vocals were recorded in a random room using the computer's microphone. Drums are a drum machine.

What do you think?

2. chungweishan

chungweishan

Overall, the song is good. I like the bass and guitar riffs, the vocal melody works well.

The simulated amps aren't totally terrible, it gets the point across. That's all the matters to me sometimes. Currently, I'm terrible at getting the sound I want from all the simulated amps and effects I have on my computer.

The vocals, however, were underwhelming only in execution. It's on-key and sang well, but I guess I expected some kind of Dio-like crooning. I'm going to guess no one wanted to sing at full blast into a computer mic. I don't think it's a lack of ability, just a lack of wanting to do it. I don't like singing/screaming/shouting when recording unless I know no one is around for miles. I do, however, like the idea of hearing the vocal styles in different parts of the song go from pure singing to half-singing.

I suck at mixing so I can't offer any critique or advice. Your recording gets the ideas across well, it's a good start.

3. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

Thanks for the feedback. It was a combination of not wanting to sing full blast into the microphone (I think the lead track clipped a bit as it was), being in the basement of an academic building rather than a studio, and not having a trained voice. I've considered singing lessons a couple times, but I'm not sure if I can afford them.

4. thedovewarlord

thedovewarlord

5. Register to disable this ad