Opinions on .135 for A string

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BREWTAL, Feb 22, 2013.

1. BREWTAL

BREWTAL

I generally like a loose feel to my strings, (when i played in drop c i used a .105 for my low string). Since then ive started tension matching my strings, and cannot use circle k strings however, because im playing a MIA p bass that strings through the body.

Im now playing in drop A on a five string with a .145 as my low A string, but if a .135 would be able to intonate in A Id consider getting a bit lighter on my gauges. my set woud be .135, .090, .065, 050, .035.

On the daddario chart, which is what strings im using, the A would pull about 28.6lbs, which is still more than my old .105 did in C, so im thinking it should work out. I mean, a .120 pulls the same amount, and isnt it considered a light B string?

Im just looking for some opinions on whether or not it would work, im well aware that most people usually prefer a bit tighter setup.
  2. GK Growl

GK Growl

I just ordered some 135 gauge DR Hi Beams that I tune to B flat and I love the tension. Of course, the round core Hi Beams behave much different than hex core D'Addarios so it's probably not a good comparison.
  3. Gigabajillion

Gigabajillion

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Ibanez
    Not sure of the actual tension. But a .135 is a great for A in my experience. Intonates well, I used DR's (Hi, Low Riders), And GHS on my warwicks and EB's on my stingrays.
  4. ixlramp

ixlramp

Try it and see, it will work but only you can decide if it's too loose. Personally i consider .145 minimum for A and would recommend 145 95 70 50 35, a slight fall in tension low to high has many advantages and has a more balanced feel and playability than equal tensions.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tom once dead

tom once dead

I think .135-.35 would definitely work well, I don't think you would want to go any lower than .135 for A, it helps to have a little more tension so the note will have a lot more power and sustain behind it.
  7. BREWTAL

BREWTAL

thanks for the replys. Im going to give it a shot i think. well, next time i order a new set or two.
  8. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    I have customers who use .100 or .105 strings for a Low-B... .135 for a Low-A is perfectly fine!
  9. GK Growl

GK Growl

I've used a 105 Prosteel in the past for C. I think a lot of this is individual preference. Some will tell you what is "optimal" based on science, etc and then others will tell you what works for them. My son can't stand flop and currently uses a 130 D'Addario XL Nickel tuned up to C for his metal band. Bryan Beller (sp?) uses a 135 Prosteel tuned up to C for the Dethklok stuff. Robbie Merrill from Godsmack prefers a 105 for everything and they play in standard all the way down to C. Experiment and see what you like.
  10. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

Mine is .140 :hyper: Even better :D
  11. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky Supporting Member

You can't top-load with that bass? My 55-94 is string-through also but you can at least top-load through the bridge... what a terrible design!

I use a modified Drop C tuning (ACGCF) and my low "A" is a CK .150 and it sounds great, but I could probably get by with something lighter in gauge, as that's only 1 step down from standard. A .135 should be fine especially if you like a looser feel.