Opinions on 2013 Fender American Standard Precision Pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jeffkew, Dec 9, 2013.

1. jeffkew

jeffkew Bass Curious Supporting Member

Any opinions on the "Custom Shop '60s Split Single-Coil Precision Bass Pickups" that come with the Fender 2013 american standard precision?
  2. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

Yeah, they sound great - best Fender has put out in a long time, IMO...

- georgestrings
  3. Bongolation

Bongolation

Still waiting for an intelligent answer as to what differentiates these from OVs, which logically should be identical items.

Think about it.

For about the first twenty minutes, the upgraded pickups were referred to as the OVs. According to some sources, there's nothing actually custom shop about "Custom Shop" pickups anyway, except that they're used in some custom shop instruments. They aren't actually made there.
  4. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

Got me - all I'm saying is, I've played several of the current American Standard P Basses, and they sounded great - whatever they are, they seem to be an improvement over what was in there, regardless of what Fender is calling them...

- georgestrings
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ROOTS_n_FIFTHS

ROOTS_n_FIFTHS Low end Lover since '78 Supporting Member

Been using one in a 2013 Am Standard P I just picked up.
    Generally, IMO, it is a pretty well rounded pickup. Gets a pretty good growl with good solid low mid punch. I liked it better than the older pickup Fender used to use (it was a whole other P though). Also an improvment over whatever is in the MIM Standard.

I would love to hear a comparison to the Original '62 if anyone has experience with both.
  7. mickster2

mickster2

No idea about where they are/aren't made, but they're definitely not identical. I have both a 1962 reissue 'Original' (bought aftermarket) and a CS pickup from a new 2012 US Std PB; the Original has bevelled edges on the pole pieces, whereas the CS ones are not bevelled. The CS ones also protrude more beyond the plastic casing than the Orig. :cool:

As for sound differences, hard to say as they're not in the same bass. Would say that the CS are maybe darker, more low end & less treble than the Originals, but this stuff is subtle & subjective at best. Either one sounds great to me.

hth