Opinions on Best Strings for my 1996 Fender Jazz Bass Deluxe?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by genmed42, Feb 12, 2012.

1. genmed42

genmed42

Hi I'm looking at getting some strings for an older Fender Deluxe Jazz Bass (1996) , I'm looking for a string with good deep punch when needed , but some nice bright snap for slapping,popping and some funk style playing as well.
    I tried GHS straight stainless steel r/w's 45-105 recently and it's still not there for me
    ,also is there a string type with a little less tension or is it only gauge oriented?
  2. BassBob1

BassBob1

DR stainless steel lo-riders are very nice for that. deep lows and punchy low mids with a sweet but not harsh top end. Probably no less tension in the 45-105 than the GHS you were using but you can get the 40-100 set or get get DR highbeams which are round core so feel looser. D'addario nickel XL's are very punchy and snappy when new but mellow out quicker. I used the DR lo-riders for 3 weeks before switching back to my very dead chromes and they didn't loose any brightness over that time.
  3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

DR all the way. But the best set is the set you like the most....
  4. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

DR Fatbeams, you won't be sorry.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. genmed42

genmed42

Thanks for all those suggestions , I will check into the DR's. Buying strings is like buying toothpaste, shampoo or soap at the groceries way to many to pick from.

But it seems like DR has a
    Pretty good following.
  7. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

8. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

DR Nickel Low Riders make my Jazz bass sing. Best strings I've ever put on my bass. I've tried many, many many sets.
  9. genmed42

genmed42

Thx mmbongo,As a matter of fact I was just checking them out on BSO, Its going to be my second purchase from them, but I plan on making plenty more, Jason is cool and very helpful, Great Service!
  10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Brubaker Guitars
    Can't guarantee this but Fat Beams kill on my 97 JD5.
  11. darkstorm

darkstorm

Dr round core fan here. Sunbeams and Neons. Though Rotosound swing 66 would work great to imo.
  12. gfaulkner

gfaulkner

Try Fender 8250 Taperwounds,they fit your description to a T.
  13. soulman969

soulman969

DR Lo-Riders in stainless steel will get you home. I used them on a Modulus I had and I loved them.
  14. genmed42

genmed42

Just received My MM Dr Fatbeams , and to me the best Damn strings I've ever had! All you guys that recommended DR to me Thanks!
  15. funkybass

funkybass

Fat beams smoke on my SR5 HH. Good choice. I'm going to try hi beams next time though.