Opinions on Fender Standard P-Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Seriouscat123, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Seriouscat123

Seriouscat123

I got this for Christmas after playing it in the store. It sounds good but sounded better but with different strings. But for some reason the pickguard is warped, but it didn't look like it was in the store. Also the frets needed to be filed but can still be felt on the ends afterward. Anyone have problems with these?

2. Seriouscat123

Seriouscat123

Maybe my expectations were too high. All I can say is the standard p-bass is just louder and has a little more punch than a squire affinity I have.

3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

It is very possible the fret ends are sharp and the pickguard is warped. Any mass produced instrument has some QC things slip through the line, it is also possible the fret ends sprouted due to your environment.

Do you still have time left to return the bass and get another model? Not all Fender's will have the issues mentioned.

4. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

When you are saying 'Standard', are you meaning MIM Standard or American Standard? ... what are the first four of the serial #?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. LoTone

LoTone

I do not know where you live in the world but, at least for where I live, the winters are dryer and the frets on my Fender Standard Precision (MIM) have a tendency to stick out slightly during the winter. Come spring, the humidity rises and I do not feel the fret ends anymore.

IMHO, the pickups on the MIM Standard are a bit ordinary. If you upgrade the pickups, you just might see a significant change in the character of the bass.

7. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

Cannot parse the original post.

8. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Anytime you read Fender Standard it denotes Mexican, otherwise it would be referred to as an American Standard. Fender does not label them MIM Fenders, they are Standard series.

9. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

With all due respect, if it were an equally educated community we were in (TB), that would be the case ... but unfortunately (or fortunately), there are a lot of people here with a great variety of levels of understanding of Fender terminology ...

You will daily see people referring to basses as 'MIM' when talking about a MIM Standard, or using the term 'American' to describe an American Standard, when the fact is there are a several basses that currently fit into each category ... it takes no time to differentiate with a simple 'MIM' Standard, or 'Am'Stand designation for those readers that are a bit less versed and trying to catch up with the very confusing terminology ...

To even further confuse, back in the early-mid 90's, there were pretty much only MIM Standards and American Standards on the scene for Fender. We then referred to the AMERICAN bass as the 'STANDARD', and the MIM bass was simply the 'Mexican' ... so it also depends on age and point of reference .. that is why it is never an issue if it is clearly designated ...

I dont know why Fender has had to name differring product with overlapping terminology, but they continue to do it over and over through the years ... Squier/Squier Series ... Standard/Standard .. Hwy 1/Hwy One

Then in 2000 they drop the name American STANDARD all together, and it becomes American Series, only to turn back into the 'New' AmStand ....

:confused: