Opinions on Orange Amps and Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by buckalori, Jul 13, 2011.

1. buckalori

buckalori

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Sandberg
    Hey guys,

I am talking to a rep about possibly working with Orange. I currently work with a boutique company called Zilla Cabs, and to be frank they are phenominal.

I am looking at getting someone who can supply me with gear to borrow when touring across the pond etc so I will likely have to change.

Obviously in an ideal world I would be looking at Amped or the like but my band aren't at that point where we could command anything like that.

So how do you guys rate Orange Amps and cabs?

Thanks for your time guys! :D

2. buckalori

buckalori

Disclosures:
  3. kuys

kuys

I've never used Orange cabs but I've played around with a few orange amps. My thoughts; harsh and expensive.

I can see the really aggressive harsh sound going great with picked punk but that's about it. That's simply my subjective opinion. You mileage will vary.

4. Chef FourString

Chef FourString

Great amps and cabs. Very aggressive. Great sound for rock and roll.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. portlandguy

portlandguy

I saw the Geddy Lee uses them - cant be bad

7. Duckwater

Duckwater

I saw Dead Meadow a few weeks ago and their bassist was playing a Rickenbacker through an Orange amp with 2 4x10 cabs. It sounded amazing, absolutely massive but very clear in the mix.

8. Tim1

Tim1

I play an Orange AD200B Mk3 into a Berg NV215 - a perfect match. It also sounds good with my Berg 610 but into the 215 it is in a different league. I also have an SVT VR which as you would expect is more middy in tone while the AD200 has more bottom and I think is fuller. I have had no issues with the AD200, it has performed perfectly. While it has a reputation for dirt, don't be fooled - this head has plenty of clean grunt available and if you like distortion (I don't) it does that brilliantly too through judicious use of the gain control.

9. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

I have an ADB200 and two OBC 410s. Highly recommended. I normally only use one of the cabs. I'd call them punchy and very rock oriented.

10. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

The Orange cabs are WAY over priced for what you get. I own one and would never pay that kind of money for a cheaply made cab with a cheap speaker. YMMV

11. SVE

SVE Supporting Member

I love my Orange AD200B, it has such a warm thick sound; it can also get a awesome aggressive sound. It's really versatile, but don't take my word for it, go try one and see for yourself!

As for cabinets, I haven't tried them, but I'm sure other users can chime in with their experiences/opinions.

12. Muckaluck

Muckaluck

When you look at 'commanding' certain gear, the Orange stuff is just as expensive over here as the Ampeg stuff. Actually, Ampeg is probably cheaper! I'm assuming you're refering to price though.

I notice that you're trying to borrow equipment from someone. Are there any other options other than Orange?

I've heard good enough things about Orange equipment. They have a reputation for real crunchy breakup if that's your thing. Probably not anything like the sound of your Ashdown though.

13. buckalori

buckalori

Disclosures:
    Thanks for all the replies guys. I will definitely look into the ad200b from what it looks like it will suite what I play really well. I would like to stick with the zilla cabs but I may be contractually obliged to use theirs...will have to ask on that!

14. Rickenjosh

Rickenjosh

Orange cabs are super solid and well built. Very punchy and heavy I love my 4x10

15. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    If you like the cleaner end of the Orange AD200, look into a Matamp GT200 before putting the money down, unless you are going s/h on the Orange, it won't be much more money and you get a lot more amp.

16. seamonkey

seamonkey

Since we're reviving old threads ... something else that changed since 2011 is Amplitube added Orange bass gear

[​IMG]

Certified by Orange, you can try it in the custom shop for a couple days for free.

17. Kopfjaeger

Kopfjaeger Guest

I realize this is an old thread but i love my Orange Ad200b! Massive sound and dials up grit with ease. Geddy uses one as does the bassist for Mastodon. The only thing I don't like is the weight of it. I was thinking of picking up a Terror bass head for ease of transportation. I'd love to hear the terror bass 500 watt through a Bergantino 212!!

Being the OP was from London, I'm told Orange is much more affordable across the pond. I got a pretty good deal on my brand new AD200b. It was less than 2k. It was even less than 1,9k!

Sepp

18. philtoler

philtoler

I have used a quite a few different rigs including Ashdown and Markbass but I have settled on Orange for a couple of years now as it gives me the best combination of sound, light weight and versatility, while not being as expensive as Markbass. I use a Terror 500 with an SP210 for all practice and small gigs and an OBC 115 for larger gigs (rarely). Sound is very versatile from super clean to super gritty. Cabs are quite mellow without a horn but still suit a variety of styles. I just love being able to cart the small amp & cab around in my little Honda 1300 with plenty of room to spare.

19. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

I love Orange, but I am hooked on old Ampegs...