1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Opinions on Restoring a 1960 Slab Board Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kmrumedy, Dec 22, 2013.

?

What finish would you prefer

1. Aged Sunburst

82 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Aged Olympic White

78 vote(s)
    33.8%
  3. Natural wood

71 vote(s)
    30.7%
  1. Kmrumedy

Kmrumedy Supporting Member

I was in search of a pre-CBS Pbass for a while and earlier this month a TB member reached out with an awesome offer and we made a deal on a 1960 PBass.

It looks to be originally a sunburst but the poor thing had been covered in house paint. Other than the finish it is all original except for a ground wire and 1 missing screw on the bridge.

The paint has now been removed without any sanding and it is ready for the restoration process. Here is the current picture of the bass as it sits now.

[​IMG]

It has really nice wood and Brazilian board.

Still debating on the resto but leaning towards going with MJT who I have worked on with other projects. To replicate a soft worn nitro sunburst like these examples below.

MOST IMPORTANT - to understand my choices I just want to be clear on the goal of this restoration.

The goal of the resto is to return it to a condition the original sunburst finish would have looked like if the original owner had not covered it in house paint! Grrrr. The nitro finish will be thin so as I play it everyday it will wear very quickly and look more and more natural.

Just going to have the resto give me a head start.

It will look something like this... ( if I go this direction)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just a nice light natural worn look - not huge missing paint chips/ scratched up look that so many purposed relics have. I worked with MJT on project like this before and they are amazing at what they do.

If not this route then oil it up seal the neck and have the lacquer aged to look something like this... Still deciding but I think it will be sunburst.

[​IMG]

( this is 66 but you get the idea)

However, my favorite vintage PBasses are aged yellowed olympic white but if I do a refin I think it should go back to original aged finish. I think these are very cool too.

[​IMG]

Thoughts anyone? What would you do if this was your project?

I am curious to know as I seem to flip flop every week on the direction. Seems like more people are easier on refins these days than they were at the height of the vintage craze in 2006-2008.

The bass will be going to MJT the week of Jan 6th.

This is a players bass to be enjoyed and played. No relic fights please. I consider this an accurate restoration of what should have been and just righting a wrong that was done to this bass in the 70's.

Poll and comments welcome.
  2. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

I voted olympic white because thats what I generally prefer but after actually seeing the bass I think sunburst would look better on it.
  3. MIMike

MIMike

When you use the term "restore", I can't help but think " return it to as close to original as possible". I would make it sunburst and play the heck out of it to let it age naturally and beautifully.
  4. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

I voted sunburst, but then I always vote sunburst. :D

By the way....congratulations on snagging a VERY COOL bass!!!
  5. Kmrumedy

Thank you for the kind words.

This poll is quite interesting. I know it is early but not the direction I thought it would go. Neat!
  6. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

7. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

There are an absolute bazillion sunburst Precisions out there, pre and post CBS. Why refinish it to the most run-of-the-mill paint scheme out there. If it were me, I'd have it refinished to my favorite factory color, and match the headstock.
  8. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    +1

NOS in nitro is going to take a few years but not many to show natural wear.
  9. Kmrumedy

Agreed and I thought about it. But the pictures I saw of pre-CBS instruments with brand new finish looked wierd to me. Looks like an old neck bolted to a new body. I didn't like it as much.
  10. bkbirge

bkbirge Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    I love sunburst so me personally I would go with that. I kind of hate the natural look that was popular in the 70's, way too bubba for my tastes, never liked it then and always thought the folks that stripped the basses for that finish were nuts. But I'm not a big furniture bass fan in general. The answer for you of course might be different. And chances are no matter what you choose you'll be back looking at the TB classifieds in a couple months anyway, lol.
  11. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6
    Why not go natural and then stain it walnut and then clear coat it. Just another option. That is a rare color option btw.
  12. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

+1 Alder is without a doubt the most drab wood Ive ever seen :yawwwn:
    :bag:
  13. OldFenderPlayer

OldFenderPlayer

My view is that if Olympic White is your favorite, go with that. I'm lucky that I have a '65 Jazz Bass in Oly White, and since I bought it in 1978 its turned a very mellow yellow. I think a well applied Nitro finish, followed by some moderate artificial aging, would give you the look of a reasonable-well cared for 50+ year old instrument. But is budget is an issue, the oiled-up basses are eye-catching too.
  14. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    That makes sense. Maybe a light aging of the finish (without damaging the wood like we've seen on some "heavy relic" jobs) would look good?
  15. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Sponsored by Jagermeister Supporting Member

True there is a bazillion sunburst ones (but it always looks so sinister in burst with proper tort guard), but the next color in line at half-bazillion is white. You asked for a vote and white is my least favorite color on a Fender.
    I would go for a more rare custom color that is period correct.
  16. pfox14

pfox14

Another vote for sunburst. When I picture a Fender bass, I see sunburst with a tort PG.
  17. Kmrumedy

That is the goal. A lot of great comments on here and food for thought. Poll is pretty much split even three ways right now which is quite interesting.
  18. Kmrumedy

I was considering that too as the original owner thought that the original color was a burgundy mist.

Does anyone know what custom colors were available for 1960?
  19. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

If you remove the pickguard it will shrink.

Be careful. It's in nice shape.
  20. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Voted sunburst, maybe not the most exiting but also never wrong for an older instrument.

All my basses and guitars are either sunburst or clear, so I'm a bit biased. :)