Opinions on String Breakage

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Ezmar, Feb 24, 2013.

?

What do you think about broken strings?

1. Strings will break eventually. It happens.

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  2. Strings should never break. Either your bridge is bad or you're playing wrong.

7 vote(s)
    58.3%
  1. Ezmar

Ezmar

I see a lot of varying comments on this particular phenomenon. Some people think it's a normal periodic occurrence, and others think that under no circumstances should a string break, ever. Well, I'm putting up a poll. I thought about leaving a "Depends" option, but since that's honestly the only true answer, I'm leaving it out.

Personally, I think that strings breaking is perfectly reasonable if you're playing hard, often, and with light gauge rounds. After a while, at least.

Feel free to leave your thoughts!
  2. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

a little bit of both. I've broken maybe 3 strings over 2.5 (well... almost 2.5) years of playing. 1nce was tuning, 1nce was cuz the strings were ancient and i was learning how to slap/pop, and 1nce was just cuz it broke.
  3. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I have been playing since 1978 and have only broken one string and that was 30 years ago. I had a guitar player who used to break strings every night no matter what guitar he was playing. It almost seems like some people are more prone to breaking them than others.
  4. aus_bass

aus_bass

I've been playing since about 1976, and never broken a bass string. It's either a hardware issue, or you're playing too hard.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DrSpunkwater

DrSpunkwater

I've never broken a bass string, even when popping. I can see how it might happen, but I think it's very unlikely.
  7. punkjazzben

punkjazzben Supporting Member

I think this poll needs more options.

My opinion is that it is possible for a bass string to break, but mostly improbable if there are no outside factors creating problems (technique, set-up, faulty strings, and so on).
  8. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

I managed a guitar store for 11 years, and I"ve been playing since 1977. Strings break for a LOT of reasons, not all of which are hardware or technique related, not at all (unless one is including the strings themselves in the category of "hardware"). Sometimes it's just age, sometimes it's the way a specific model of strings are made, sometimes it's the player.

John
  9. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

This. Sometimes you just get a faulty string, too.
  10. wobble man

wobble man

Depends on play style more than anything on a properly set-up bass, and freshness of strings of course. When I was a teenager and thought I was Flea, I busted many a fresh EB Super Slinky. But now that I'm in my 30s and listen more closely to what I'm playing, I haven't broken a string in over a decade. But there's nothing shameful in busting a string or two if you have a very aggressive style.
  11. scotch

scotch Will play bass for fish tacos. Plus cash. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    Yup. Great answer!

I play everyday & haven't broken a string during 'performance' for over 20 years. I used to break em occasionally when I first started playing, but it pretty much never happens now. At least on bass. I think I play with a more aggressive technique than average, too- about 25% of the time with a pick.
  12. totallyfrozen

totallyfrozen

I play with a fairly light touch, mostly finger pluck, and generally Medium gauge so I don't expect to break any bass strings.

I can imaging a funk player breaking a string. Maybe even a hard rocking pick player if his/her strings were light enough. Mostly, I'd expect to see Funk players breaking strings.
  13. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

Have you ever watched Paul Jackson or Marcus Miller play? I don't think Genre has anything to do with it. I have noticed round core DRs will break, even played with a really light touch, but only after they're so old they're completely dead, and most normal players that aren't as cheap as me would never experience it.
  14. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

Well, I used to break them from time to time when I was younger. I can't remember the last time I've broken one, though. Which means that perhaps my equipment has improved (it has) and perhaps my technique has improved (it also has). So I'm inclined to believe that strings should rarely break unless there is a problem with technique or equipment.
  15. FourBanger

FourBanger

Besides faulty manufacturing, the only way I've ever broken a bass string was moving old strings on and off a bass too much.

As a long-time guitarist I was also lucky to never break a string while playing, though I would lose a few high E's here and there when changing between tunings on acoustics.
  16. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

In 25 years I have never broke a string - I must be doing it all wrong.
    I pretty much favor lower tension strings, and play with a pick.