1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Opinions on the 2012 Rickenbacker 4003.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringfrank, May 1, 2012.

1. fourstringfrank

fourstringfrank

Hi.

I have heard some folks saying that the latest Rickenbacker 4003 basses are among the finest basses the company has made..both playing wise and when it comes to finish etc.

I heard that 2011 models had this thinner neck profile and that the 2012 basses should have thicker profile...any thruth to this or just talk?

I´ll guess some forum friends had testdrived the 2012s.
    Im very curious about testing one myself.

Best Frank.
  2. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

I have played a 2011 and 2 2010s. They were all excellent.
  3. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

I own a 2012. It's my first RIC after being exclusively Fender so I can't compare to previous years but mine is a stone cold killer. I can't imagine owning a better bass. Go get one now.
  4. msb

msb

People have been claiming that the most recent Rics are the best for years now .

The old ones were pretty good too ...
  5. zackthompson

zackthompson Supporting Member

They're great! The neck is a little thick than im used to. (i switched from a EBMM SR Classic). But its really easy to get used to. I love the vintage bypass switch. I can go from a modern bassy sound, to chris squire with the pull of a pot.
  6. fourstringfrank

fourstringfrank

Thanks for all the replys here,my previous RIC basses have been one 1976 4001Burgundy and then 1979 4001 Atumglo then 2001 4003 Jetglo.
    Plus a 4001c64s and a 4001V63.
    And I must say that best ones here IMO are: The 2001/4003 then 4001V63 and then the 1976/4001.
    Thats what I thought that these new 4003 basses are splendid...I must try one really soon now.
    Best Frank.
  7. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Born Again Tubey
    got a 2011 mid blue . sounds great. neck not too thick. much nicer than my mid 80's ric
  8. superdick2112

superdick2112 Registered Spector Addict Supporting Member

I've played four 2012 models, and while they were all good basses, none of their necks were as thin as the neck on my 2008 Jetglo. Still, I would not hesitate to get a 2012 Ric if I had to replace my '08.
  9. kcole4001

kcole4001

Got a 2010 4003, and the neck is a little thicker than a mid to late1970s bass, and definitely wider.
    Slimmer body contour, nice balance, throatier tone.

The new truss rods work so much better than the old ones it's hard to believe.
    Adjusting my '77 4001 is like trying to squeeze the last bit of toothpaste out of a very bent tube, while the new bass almost adjusts itself.
    I know it's largely because of the years of abuse the poor old thing has taken, and she seems to right at the very limit of her ability to resist string tension, but the contrast is very striking.
    My 2 other Ricks adjust more easily than the 4001, but the difference is quite pronounced between old an new.

The 4003 is definitely my preferred main bass above all others.
    Even more versatile with it's wider range of voicing.
  10. Baker69

Baker69

I can't comment on the 2011 necks but the neck on my new 2012 4003 is fairly chunky in my opinion, a lot fatter than my '78 4001.

Very good build quality and finish, shame they're still using that same old bridge though, the bass is only 4 months old and already has a small amount of tail lift. :scowl:
  11. 4001

I was in a Sam Ash near me recently and looked at a new 4003 Mapleglo and the finish was horrible. There were more waves in it than an ocean. For a new bass I didnt expect to see so much unevenness. I can only imagine how it will look a few years down the road.
    All of the 4003's I've played in the last few years have nothing on my old 4001's. The 4003's sound fat and klunky and nothing like a signature raspy clangy 4001. I didn't like the 4003 when they first came out back in the 80's and I still dont like them.
  12. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

I've got a Ruby Red 2012 4003. The neck is definitely pretty thick, but you get used to it very quickly and it's very playable. The necks on the new ones definitely feel thicker than 1976 4001 I played.
  13. RhynoRock

RhynoRock

How much of a difference from something not as old? Say 2002?
  14. svlilioukalani

svlilioukalani

Neck thickness is a constant source of confusion for all. They seem to change from month to month, and year to year. You will only know what to expect once it is in your hand. The Rick forum may be a better source of current information on this subject. The concensus is that the new ricks are as good if not better than ever. I love my 92. It has a thin neck like the old 4001 basses.
  15. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

I,ve got a 99 and although it feels chunkier than my 4001 before that after almost 14 years I don,t notice it at all anymore.
    I have retro fitted the vintage push/pull of the newer Ricks and it,s worth the time fitting it.
    It,s a lot cheaper than buying a new one.
  16. willsellout

willsellout

Yeah they are coming out of the factory pretty damned good if mine is any indication. The neck is definitely on the chunky side; much thicker than any other Ric I've played besides the 4004 I owned. Easy to play though.
  17. Matt R.

Matt R. Supporting Member

I bought one in November. Overall build quality and finish was ok but mine had issues. It had a crooked name plate and the fingerboard had humps. I took a chance and sent it back in under warranty. They planed and refretted it and refitted the name plate. It's now the best playing and sounding Ricky I've ever owned, but it should have never left the retailer, much less the factory.
  18. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

I have a 1974 4001, a 1978 3001 and a 2003 4003. I played two 2012's a couple of months ago & was very, very impressed. Bigger neck than my 74, but nowhere near the baseball bat that my 2003 is. Tone was better than any of my Ricks, though in all fairness the 3001 is a completely different animal. I feel that Rickenbacker is on the top of their game these days.
  19. Baker69

Baker69

I have a new 4003 in Mapleglo and the finish on it is superb. Don't know how the one you saw passed QC! All of the latest Rics seem extremely good IMHO.

I agree with you on the sound though, despite what a lot of people say in that the 4003 sounds the same as a 4001 it most definitely does not, whether it be because of the more powerful pickups on the 4003 or the thicker neck maybe, but it certainly misses to encapsulate that clanky classic Ric sound.

Build wise though, and versatility the 4003 is the winner.
  20. 4001

There is a Jetglo right next to it and the finish is just as bad. I'd expect a Rickenbacker to have a nice FLAT finish. Those two aren't what I'd call good quality.

For the doubters, go to the Buffalo Grove, IL Sam Ash and check them out. You tell me what you see.
    I was a finish leveler at Hamer and I know what a good, flat finish is supposed to look like.