Opinions on used gear

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bstew483, Feb 12, 2014.

1. bstew483

bstew483

Hey everyone,
    I have recently found an Ampeg SVT410HLF used on Guitarcenter.com the GC that has the one I want is about 1500 miles from my house. I was wondering if anyone on here has bought a used cab (or anything other used items) from guitar center. I would be very thankful if someone could give me some insight on any of my concerns:
    1) quality of the amp itself ( I know there is not much you can do about this)
    2) What is the cost of shipping a 85 pound amp coast to coast in America
    3) Is it safe to ship something like this? I don't want anyrthing to happen to that amp during shipping. Does anyone know if it is treated with care (or at least in a mannor that will keep the amp in working condition)

Any inquiries are wanted

2. cv115505

cv115505 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Lakland Basses | Hanson Guitars | Augustas Guitars | Paul & Mills Amplification
    I'm leary of anything, new or used, from GC... that being said, they have an excellent return policy. As long as it isn't "vintage," you have 30 days to return it. You don't even ship it back to them... you go to your local GC and return it there. As far as shipping costs go, I can guarantee you you are going to pay a bunch unless you have it shipped to the GC near you. Getting it shipped to your door is where they'd get you... buy it online and choose the option to have it sent to your local store, and if you don't like it take advantage of the return policy... I never recommend buying new instruments from GC, but I see no issue buying used stuff (I have a few things I've bought used from them.)

3. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

Ask itf they'll ship it to another store closer to you, if there is one. 410--maybe not but ask.

4. bstew483

bstew483

Thats a good point thank you. While I am being picky about this whole thing. Do you think I would have any success in negotiating with the guy. Or maybe he could send me a coupon code?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. nocluejimbo

nocluejimbo Supporting Member

The shipping price to a local store or to your home should be the same.

They will accept returns at the local store for any gear ordered online.

Ask questions before buying. If the item arrives not as described, they (should) refund your shipping cost as well as the purchase price.

Really no reason not to buy used online from GC if they have what you want at a decent price.

7. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

CALL THE STORE UP THAT YOU ARE BUYING IT FROM, I can't stress that enough. 9/10 times they will want to deal and give you free shipping/10% off etc. Ask about the condition and sending it to your store. Always order used gear over the phone first.

8. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

30 day return policy is 100% true. Take advantage of it! Some items at GC are in great condition; it's about 50/50 with amp heads for me at the moment. 50% worked perfectly, 50% were quite terrible.

Call the store and ask them to ship the cab to a GC by you. Make sure to call the store the next day to make sure it actually got shipped - they are sometimes slow and forgetful on this detail. Do NOT order it online - talk to someone at the particular store. I noticed the online ordering was not letting me choose "Ship to a nearby Guitar Center". Maybe I went too fast, not sure.

The Ampeg SVT 410hlf is a notorious low end beast and most used models (I have seen 4) are typically in terrible condition. Many bass players blast it with too much low end and power. Just something to watch for. Maybe the one you get is awesome.....

9. jamminology101

jamminology101

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Glockenklang
    They will ship to any of their stores as long as you are going to purchase it. They usually pick up the shipping(corporate) from store to store transit. I dont know if that is policy or not but they did it for me. It also is good so u have witnesses if anything is messed up and dont have to accept it. Id say go for it.

10. DougBass

DougBass Supporting Member

I bought an SWR Big Foot cab that got shipped from CA to NJ. I opened it at the store and plugged it in and played it. It worked out great for me.

I also had an amp delivered to my house. The cabinet was broken (badly I might add). I took it in and they gave me a full refund, and apologized a lot. It looked to me like UPS dropped it, but they blamed the shipping store.

11. KablesP

KablesP

I have bought a head and a bass that I needed shipped from a different GC. Both times I got them shipped to my local store. This way if there are any problems you can deal with it at the time with the store and not have to worry about them not accepting a return thinking that you damaged the item yourself.

Both times I was very happy. I didn't get any discounts by calling the store but everything was easy and it only took a few days.

If you find the item on GCs used site, you can click to buy it and before you actually check out they have an option to see how much shipping is.

GC is 2 for 2 for my online purchases.

12. flatfender

flatfender Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit Supporting Member

Last fall I bought a used Ampeg 810 (dark era) from a GC In Atlanta (1500 miles away) for $399. It sat in their store for 90+ days because it had a broken rear castor and some ripped tolex.

I talked to them over ther phone and talked to a guy that knew bass amps and cabs, and assured me that it was in good shape other than the minor damage listed above.

They shipped it FedEx freight for $50 and I picked it up at fedex's terminal about a week later. Showed up on a pallet with a bunch of padding and cardboard in good shape.

Replaced both castors ($15 each from a Runnings/Farm Fleet) and gorilla glued down the tolex rips. Works fine.

I've also bought used monitor wedges and some used chauvet lighting gear over the past few years with no problems. Fairly cheap shipping to my house via ups or FedEx.

13. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U Banned

You're probably safe buying a used U.S. Ampeg. It's really, really hard to blow those kind of speakers up.

14. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Put the item in the cart and enter your zip code. It will tell you exactly how much it is to ship.

15. Tampabass

Tampabass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    not a rocket scientist, but I play one on TV
    Yes, as someone suggested, call the store directly where you found the Ampeg. They may be willing to get you free or cheap shipping.
    Also, don't fear buying used from GC Used -- Both of the basses I bought through GC used online were very good deals, and each bass was all but brand new -- everything still in plastic, unopened case candy, pristine cases, etc. Both times, I think, someone bought the bass, kept it a few days or so, and returned it.

16. bstew483

bstew483

I just got an email back from the store manager and he said that shipping will be 50 dollars and mentioned nothing about a discount. Sos you are saying if I call that might change?

17. Tampabass

Tampabass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    not a rocket scientist, but I play one on TV
    Yes, don't email them -- get them on the phone, let them know that you're interested in it, and ask them if they will ship it for free. It's worked for me. Might work for you.

18. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Don't email, I got a discount that way once but its rare. You have to call them to let them know you are serious IME.

19. kleinenenten

kleinenenten

I have only positive experiences with GC used stuff. Most have been in great shape (or in the expected, advertised condition), and have worked flawlessly. The only exception was a head, but there was no issue with the return policy. I've bought pedals, heads, rack gear, and a little of most things used from GC. Sometimes, their prices are unbelievably good, so I jump on it knowing returns are easy. I say go for it!

20. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

I grew up in Denver, left 9 years ago and don't miss it at all, but you would think in an area as populated as it is, a common 410HLF wouldn't be that hard to come by, even used. Even Fort Collins or Colo Springs might be worth the drive if you could play through it before you buy. Just a thought.

21. phatcyclist

phatcyclist

Any reason for that specifically?