Opinions on Wish basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Scopey, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Scopey

Scopey

Hi.
    I was considering buying a fretless bass and heard about Wish basses. I thought I would give it a shot instead of getting a bad bass for the same price.

I generally play metal and the idea of it souns very nice, and they look awesome (not as important as quality but it is good to have a nice looking bass).

But what are your opinions on them regarding sound and material wise? They are promoted as very high quality basses for low price. How true is it?

Thanks

2. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

It's my understanding that Wish basses need a certain amount of work to be truly finished instruments. Some sanding, finishing, or other various work for example.

3. Jefff

Jefff Supporting Member

I have played one. You can find them used for as low as 75-100 bucks.

Worth every penny of that.

4. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

I agree with the above.

I had one and the figuring on the wood was possibly the nicest of any axe I've had.

It might also have been the heaviest bass I've owned.

For four beans and a bit of sweat you can have a killer hand made bass that doesn't include impacting on a rain forest. I believe most of Steve's wood is local. And they aren't a copy of anyone's basses.

There's something about North Carolina. Steve, Terry McInturff and I think there's even a couple of amp guys there.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw Supporting Member

They're very much "artisan" instruments in that earthy, spit 'n' polish kind of way. In terms of fit and finish, they're not even comparable to the cheapest Chinese Fender copy - they come either in bare wood, or with an oil finish, and there will be saw, chisel and sanding marks. The necks are also huge - more like an upright neck than a bass guitar neck. The plus side is that, despite all that, they actually sound rather good. Big, thick, mwah-y fretless tone with a very woody vibe.

The world would be a much poorer place without the Steve Wishnevskys and Kevin Siebolds of this world making unusual, cheap, fun instruments for those who want something a bit different, and doing it all in their garages on a shoestring. :)

7. BawanaRik

I was making a purchase off craigs and it turned out to be Kevin.

He actually makes them right there in front of you.

I wish had whatever it takes to be that creative.

8. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw Supporting Member

Kevin made me a couple instruments a few years ago when he was still in NJ (I believe he's moved and joined the NC crowd now) - less than three weeks, start to finish for both of them. I visited him at his house and witnessed the Krappy machine in action. :)

9. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

IMO a fretless Squier VM Jazz would be a much better bass for less money! I played a used one yesterday that was very nice and only $150!

10. BawanaRik

A lot of people from NJ are doing the southern swing.

I really can't take the heat. But I can see why they do. A lot cheaper to live.

11. Scopey

Scopey

Thanks alot every one. Did any one of you had problems with not having a trust rod or the weird bridge system?

12. awilkie84

awilkie84

I thought about doing this, too. I stepped away after I saw the amount of work that needed to go into each bass to make it a properly finished project. If you have shop space and the right tools, then it's made easier...but you've got a lot of work ahead of you.

13. Mosfed

Mosfed The mighty mighty Supporting Member

If I read the "minimum order" right - then you are talking about a minimum $500.

Seems like quite a bit for something with the issues posted above.

But maybe I am reading it wrong.

The looks aren't my style but at least they aren't the millionth person doing a P or J bass.