1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Opinions please

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassDoc51, Dec 14, 2012.

1. BassDoc51

BassDoc51

My "soon to be 12 years old" neice has recently taken an interest in music and now she wants a bass. I would love to be able to drop a couple grand on some good gear for her, but that's just not going to happen. So my dilemma is this: As much as I hate to do it, she is getting a bass pack. I live 800 miles away, and I want to make sure she has everything she needs to plug in and play when the box arrives. I have narrowed it down to two, but now I'm asking for opinions in getting it down to one. Should I go with the Squire Affinity bass pack or an Ibanez IJXB150B Jumpstart bass pack? Thanks for your help.
  2. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    Both are good beginner packages. Ibanez generally has thinner necks and has some color options that Fender does not offer. I use MIA Fenders but when it comes to the lower priced basses, I prefer Ibanez.
  3. Wallace320

Wallace320

better bass and better amp

Cheers,
    Wallace
  4. AuntieBeeb

AuntieBeeb

Don't know what the Yamaha's like, but my guess would be that your not-yet-12-yr-old niece isn't a particularly big girl, and importantly doesn't have huge hands. Of the Squier and the Ibanez, I'd have thought the slender-necked Ibanez would be a better option to learn on.

Unless there's a short-scale option (assuming the Ibanez isn't already short-scale), of course. My first bass was a little Squier Bronco, and whilst nowadays I find 30" basses too small, I don't know if I'd have got this far if I'd started on a 34" Precision!
  5. Wallace320

Wallace320

Auntie is right

I just opted for an alternative I know well, and sticked to regular 34" scale basses
    Infact packs come with regular 34" basses only, I think (but counteropinions are warmly welcome...) yet I'd opt for Ibanez Mikros at this point... They're basswood basses credited of a bit less than 30" scale (actually they're 28,60" like former MIM Fender Precision jr... I got one) and come in both 4er and 5er
    So give'em a go

Ibanez Mikro (4er or 5er) plus a 10" 15w Ibanez SoundWave...

Cheers,
    Wallace
  6. lug

lug