1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Opinions please

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassDoc51, Dec 14, 2012.

1. BassDoc51

BassDoc51

My "soon to be 12 years old" neice has recently taken an interest in music and now she wants a bass. I would love to be able to drop a couple grand on some good gear for her, but that's just not going to happen. So my dilemma is this: As much as I hate to do it, she is getting a bass pack. I live 800 miles away, and I want to make sure she has everything she needs to plug in and play when the box arrives. I have narrowed it down to two, but now I'm asking for opinions in getting it down to one. Should I go with the Squire Affinity bass pack or an Ibanez IJXB150B Jumpstart bass pack? Thanks for your help.

2. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    Both are good beginner packages. Ibanez generally has thinner necks and has some color options that Fender does not offer. I use MIA Fenders but when it comes to the lower priced basses, I prefer Ibanez.

3. Wallace320

Wallace320

better bass and better amp

Cheers,
    Wallace

4. AuntieBeeb

AuntieBeeb

Don't know what the Yamaha's like, but my guess would be that your not-yet-12-yr-old niece isn't a particularly big girl, and importantly doesn't have huge hands. Of the Squier and the Ibanez, I'd have thought the slender-necked Ibanez would be a better option to learn on.

Unless there's a short-scale option (assuming the Ibanez isn't already short-scale), of course. My first bass was a little Squier Bronco, and whilst nowadays I find 30" basses too small, I don't know if I'd have got this far if I'd started on a 34" Precision!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Wallace320

Wallace320

Auntie is right

I just opted for an alternative I know well, and sticked to regular 34" scale basses
    Infact packs come with regular 34" basses only, I think (but counteropinions are warmly welcome...) yet I'd opt for Ibanez Mikros at this point... They're basswood basses credited of a bit less than 30" scale (actually they're 28,60" like former MIM Fender Precision jr... I got one) and come in both 4er and 5er
    So give'em a go

Ibanez Mikro (4er or 5er) plus a 10" 15w Ibanez SoundWave...

Cheers,
    Wallace

7. lug

lug