1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Opinions regarding customisation/restoration

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Ariabasser, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Ariabasser

Ariabasser

I just picked up an old (81-84; the years when it can't be accurately dated, go figure) SVT-810e, and although the speakers are in phenomenal condition, the Tolex was a bit worse for wear. Now I've already stripped the Tolex off, and now I'm looking to re-finish it. I've actually been planning to Plasti-Dip it, and I've been getting mixed opinions from multiple players. Some say they've done it with their cabs and had no problems, so just say "oh that'll be cool, do it", and just one has said "well you know, you may not want to, because you run the risk of muffling your sound". So what do you guys think?
    Is it a good idea? Even if it does affect the tone, will it be enough to be noticeable?

Thanks for any input I receive.

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Are you talking Duratex here?? The finish should have very little impact on the sound of the cabinet.

3. Ariabasser

Ariabasser

Plasti Dip, the synthetic rubber coating spray. The layer wouldn't be any thicker than the Tolex that was previously on the cab.

Attached Files:

4. BassmanPaul

Having never heard of the product I can give no opinion. I question the durability of the finish.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

That's going to take a lot of plastic dip!

I'd suggest the Duratex route, because it's been a great product for me and many others.

A gallon would put many coats on your 8-10 cab, and you'd still have left over product for touch up.

Consider also: little to no smell, quick drying and re-coat in average temps, warm water cleanup. I've used this stuff indoors at the kitchen table, it's less stinky than regular indoor latex house paint.

It looks great and gives a semi gloss, textured finish. Just use the suggested roller and you'll get great results. If you order white, it can be tinted at your local paint store for a custom color.

I can't say enough good things about it. I really look forward to the Duratex stage of cab building, just because the stuff is so easy to deal with. A gallon does many, many cabs with many coats.

7. Ariabasser

Ariabasser

My buddies and I have used it on other stuff like diving weights, and it is pretty durable even getting scrubbed on rocks, corals, etc. Some people (none I know personally) have even used it on cars. Plus during my resto I'm putting on the OEM kickplate and slide-rails. So *hopefully* the durability won't be an issue. But if the finish really won't affect the tone or anything, that's good enough for me! Thanks a million for the input!

8. Ariabasser

Ariabasser

The Duratex looked nice, but I'm a dirt-poor college student :[ And the Plasti Dip comes in red :D

9. mystic38

mystic38

With what you are talking about the covering of a cabinet has absolutely zero to do with the sound..

10. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    A gallon of Duratex is pricey, but you can get a smaller quantity here:

http://www.speakerhardware.com/categories.php?cat=10

My concern about the Plasti-Dip is that it will always be slightly sticky. This will make it a hassle to get in and out of your car, and also, it will be sticky until it accumulates a coating of dust and fuzz.

11. Ariabasser

Ariabasser

I thought about the whole "getting it in and out of the car" thing, and decided I plan to be using moving blankets to slide it anyways until the band can afford a trailer for our gear and props. Not too worried about the stickiness as I have lint rollers because of my dogs, and I think I prefer the rubberised texture of the Plasti Dip to the Duratex, plus no worrying about paying extra money to a paint shop to tint it custom colors.

12. BassmanPaul

May I suggest a comb and a brush for the dogs. Lint rollers are not that efficient and the dogs get bored. :)

13. Sartori

Sartori

I'd recommend against covering a cab in anything that's going to remain sticky for a long time. I doubt lint rollers will be enough to get the dust/fuzz off and it will eventually look worse than it did before.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    If you use it long enough, the Plasti-Dip will end up looking like rat fur ;)

15. Ariabasser

Ariabasser

It's pleeeenty easy to clean. Again, I've used it before, just not to coat speaker cabs :D

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I don't know man...if that's truly an early 80's cab from Japan, I'd be looking to do it a little more justice than Plasti-Dip. Then again, I covered my 73 810 in cheap black vinyl I bought at a fabric store so who am I to talk? ;) Of course, that was 20 years ago before we all realized how awesome the old amps were. I just wanted it to look black and not all shredded. Then over time, I shredded it.

17. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

i dunno, i could see the plasti-dip quickly peeling off in huge rubbery sheets.

18. Ariabasser

Ariabasser

I think I'd be doing justice to an old badass early 80's Japanese cab by revamping it and making it look as badass as it sounds. Tolex obviously can't hold up and shreds easily. Everyone I've talked to about the Plasti Dip said it doesn't peel off of wood very easily. I think I'm pretty set on it now that I know it won't be messing up the sound. I will be posting a thread with pictures of before, during, and after with the old torn up Tolex, then bare, then sprayed, then with the new hardware, etc. I promise it won't be a disappointment to you all, unless you absolutely hate the idea of a big bright red Ampeg cab.

19. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

"obviously"?

tolex usually lasts a very long time, unless it's deliberately abused.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I hate the idea of a big bright red Ampeg cab. I think you should use fuschia.

And +1 about the tolex. Tolex does tear if you scrape it up but you don't have to scrape it up. And everything will start to look beat if you beat it up no matter what the finish.

21. Sartori

Sartori

+1

The tolex on my 2x15 is about 40 years old and still looks pretty good.