Opinions wanted on the Ibanez SD GR SR05

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GregBlach, Jul 14, 2009.

1. GregBlach

GregBlach

Hi all,

Considering trying out one of these for sale locally. Have not been able to find out much about it, so maybe someone could enlighten me?

Playability? Quality? Sound? Electronics? What to look out for?

Also, what would be a fair price to pay?

Thanks in advance,

Greg

2. danomite64

danomite64 Supporting Member

That model was one of the first ones made. I think they only were made in 1987, in metallic blue and red, and the quality was great, as it was the top of the line model, over the SR1000 and SR800. Or maybe the 100 was the top model; I don't really know as the only one available to lefties was the 800. I imagine the only thing that ever goes bad on them is the input jack, which isn't such a big deal.

3. GregBlach

GregBlach

Hi danomite64,

Thanks for your reply. The one I'm looking at is supposedly from '89 and has the Blue/Green metallic finish. Not too pretty, to be honest... :) I wonder if it would be possible to refinish the bass and get a decent result?

So, you have raised my expectations as to quality. Should be interesting to go and play a little on this bass.

Seller is asking something like ~900 USD for the bass, which I think is way too much.

/G

4. burrahobbit

burrahobbit

I hope it's not wrong to resurrect this thread; but I wanted to ask about the very same bass and figured that making a new thread would be kind of pointless being one here already.

Pretty much I've got the same doubts that the original poster; I've come across the chance to get one, but wanted to know if anyone's got some tips on what to look for (perhaps it's a series in which some models have a problem in a particular part of the body, that kind of stuff); what are your opinions on it; and if it is repainteable, for the color is quite ugly indeed.
    It's an 88-89 model apparently.

And here's a picture with some data in case you need it
    http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q279/martingromero/Ibanez SR05 88 japan/12.jpg

Thanks in advance

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Wallace320

Wallace320

Yes:
    Ibanez old catalogs are absolutely useful to find past product out
    But they fail in representin' how such pearlish tints tend to become thru time

Sometimes ugly, especially in the strange, yeah blue/greenish one I can't even recall exact name of

Anyway you should find, except its look, a great soundin' instrument out

Some Yamaha (very good Japanese basses) back in those days, even mutuated the slaint pickup configuration: I'm thinkin' about RBX750A/755A. Only, they were alder while Ibanez SR05 is ash

Pay attention to the overall operating condition, but hardware and electronics are very very reliable.

Cheers,
    Wallace

7. burrahobbit

burrahobbit

Thanks for you answer,

I'll go see it in the week then, and if everything's ok I'll be coming back home with my first five stringer.

Ugliness of the color doesn't matter as long as I can peel it off; in February I'll take a small break from my classes and use the free time to repaint it.