1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Opinions!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Snakeman1066, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066

One of my many projects...

Keep in mind this is a live recording made at a practice session... Its' best if you have speakers with a good bass response!

Looking for opinions on the music itself as well as maybe what you think of my tone..

group is a power trio..

also just out of curiosity what genre would you pin this in?

http://www.reverbnation.com/open_graph/video/10459995

another if you get through all 10 minutes of song there are some interesting changes

http://www.reverbnation.com/open_graph/video/10459608

2. BassIsFun17

BassIsFun17 Spector Owner Club #372 Supporting Member

prog metal sorta i guess

3. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066

4. winegamd

winegamd

Bass tone is not bad, but a bit more mid range would make it more present and intelligible. If anything I would classify it as doom or classic metal. It is more Black Sabbath meets Maiden meets old Judas Priest than it is Dream Theater.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066

i hear you on the mids..unfortunately the guitard is playing through a mesa triple rec. and no mater how i seem to set my eq nothing seems to cut past his rig except extreme nasal honk..lol
    but still working on it...

these recordings were simply made at practice on a lark so that we could actually hear them...funny how things seem different when your in the middle of the music..

Geezer Butler is the reason i picked up a bass in the first place and Sabbath was a huge singular influence on me...as was Steve Harris...and Priest as well..lol

thanks!

7. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I really like it and I'm old. I thought system of a down right away and I'm a huge tool fan. I would have liked to hear more bass but that's probably just bias nice job.

8. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066

lol thanks...

I'm no spring chicken myself

9. t77mackie

t77mackie

Something that I think that has been lost in recent times is getting a good full band sound / tone / mix. I'm not necessarily speaking of your band, but in general...

First and foremost, and in all likelihood, turn the F down (guitar players!!)! - generally speaking again.

If you listen to recordings from the 60's and 70's every instrument has their own area of the sound spectrum. Think of the EQ bars on a visual frequency spectrum. I think with all of today's technology each of the recorded instruments are using too wide of frequency response and are stepping on each other in the mix instead of each instrument having it's on little area on the graph.

I hope that^ makes sense.

Listen to something like this:

Tons of instruments but everything comes through clearly. I still think Zep's Physical Graffitti is the gold standard for recording tone / quality / mix.

2 Cents

Anywho, your music sounds like Metal to me. I hate pigeonholing musical styles to sub-sub-sub-genres.

10. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066

thanks guys...but again we just threw up a couple of mics at the front of our practice space and hit the record button..lol

was really looking for basically general opinions on the music itself...

what sort of genre you thought the music is

and possibly some opinions of my bass tone....lol