1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Optical pickup? A DIY Lightwave?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by atracksler, Apr 2, 2014.

1. atracksler

atracksler Supporting Member

Came across this in my internet perusing:

http://makezine.com/projects/infrared-string-bass/

Now the bass they make is Fugly, and it is really ugly too, and did I mention it's ugliness?

Buy is the pickup idea solid? would it work to build a real bass around something like this? It seems like it would be easy to make something more elegant... heck a piece of mahogany decking would be more elegant....

Anyway Thought I'd ask if this had any merit, or is it just a dead end?

2. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I built a few back in the 70s when I first saw this idea floated in a magazine. I might even still have some of those photodetectors kicking around. They can sound very good, or not, depending on how well you can isolate ambient light sources and lots of other fun stuff to work through. FWIW, I used differential pairs of detectors to kill common-mode noise, and at the time my amp circuits were just way too rudimentary to fully leverage that idea.

Have fun!

3. freatles

freatles

My opinion is that the "idea" is great.

But I wouldn't try to replicate this. I'm sure it will work, but afaics it's not really transducing what I want a "pickup" to (string displacement vs output waveform).

4. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

I have a lightwave setup that is going to be used on my next build.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Canadian APII

Canadian APII

What is the price range for a lightwave setup?

7. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

I bought it second hand, I don't think they will sell you the set up by itself.