Optimizing a complex amp setup

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by phenonate, Feb 10, 2014.

1. phenonate

phenonate

I'm currently trying to over-nerd my live performance rig. And so I turn to you, TalkBass Forums, for wisdom and advice.

The signal chain looks like this: Bass feeds into a MOTU Microbook for preprocessing with Ableton Live, then into my GK MB150E-III. That acts both as a preamp and as the stage that powers its internal 12" speaker. From here, I take a line out of the FX send (hence, post-EQ and post-chorus effect when it is on) and send it to the speakers. And Here My Ambiguities Begin:

I have an Ashdown 4x10, a Peavey 4x10, and a ridiculous club subwoofer. Ampwise, I have a Behringer iNUKE 1000 and a Behringer BX4500H. Options I currently have to connect this gear:

A) iNUKE in mono mode with the crossover activated, connected to the Ashdown 4x10 on the full-range output, and the sub on the <100Hz output; BX4500H with the FX send from the GK hitting the BX's FX return (to bypass the preamp stage) powering the Peavey 4x10.
    Schematic of Setup A

B) iNUKE in mono mode set to full range, pushing both 4x10s, and the BX4500H being fed into its passive input, then using its EQ to mimic a crossover (bass boosted, frequencies above "bass" cut as much as I can) powering the subwoofer.
    Schematic of Setup B

The iNUKE in mono mode is good for 300W per speaker. The BX4500H at 8 ohms is also good for about 300W. If I put the iNUKE in bridge mode, it'll do a full 1000W, but I then have to build a special Y cable to make the 4-pole Speakon output connect properly, complicated further by the fact that the sub has a weird 3-blade locking NEMA connector.

Anyway. What do y'all think will sound the best, and thump the most?

2. Dave Curran

Dave Curran Lilduke Supporting Member

Once you hit the amps, you should stop thinking about it as a bass rig, and start thinking about it as a multi cab pa system. I would get a crossover that can do 3-way mono. I'd send up to 60hz to the sub. From 60hz to 120hz to the peavey 4 x 10, and from 120 up to the ashdown.

I would then play with the x-over points till I find a balance. Use the inuke for the bottom two, and the bx for the ashdown.

As always, your mileage may vary. (I hate acronyms ;) )

3. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    Besides as you call it "over-nerding", what are you actually trying to accomplish? This isn't even really a nerd setup yet :p

4. phenonate

phenonate

My goals with this are to maximize the achievable low end rumble while retaining clean, controllable tonal characteristics. Essentially, I want to be putting power where it's most useful, given the equipment I have.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    Assuming this is actually something that works for you / your band and doesn't destroy FOH or on stage mix/volume... Neither A or B are really what I would do. Lilduke is getting closer to how I'd attack things - IMO just a better setup all together.
    Between A and B, A has better chance of not sucking.