Optimum use of an Eden Pro Tour head

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by LongHairFreak, Feb 11, 2013.

1. LongHairFreak

LongHairFreak Supporting The Gold

Hey TB
    Very soon I am up for a multiple band gig where all bassists will use the same Eden Pro Tour rig one after the other. I'll not have the opportunity to mess w/the settings--nor do I dare, for it has a lot of knobs and I am blind and cannot even read the settings. However, what I am accustom to using consists of a dirt box or two, an EQ pedal/a line level tube EQ and a preamp put into a power amp. I'm thinking this (minus the power amp) would be a lot of gain put into the front end of the Eden head.

So I am looking for suggestions on how to best optimize my use of this amp during my stage time. Should I...

1) Plug my rack/board into the power section; absolutely bypassing the Eden's pre/EQ sections?
    or
    2) Leave out some of my gain structure (as well as some of my sound) like my preamp and line-level EQ; plugging directly into the Eden's front end?

Any opinions/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. One Drop

One Drop Supporting Member

I would run all that through the effects loop, or else only run the dirt pedals through the front end. Edens sound good with dirt pedals either way, but the amount of gain changes so the settings that work for one will not be optimum for the other. If you EQ the pedals to work with a fairly flat sounding amp beforehand it should sound good through the Eden flat.

On the other hand, if your board is set up to sound good as is going into a power amp, it should be okay going straight into the power secrion of the Eden, avaoiding gain stage problems you would get going in through the preamp of the Eden.

3. longfinger

longfinger

There is also an "Input Pad" feature on these amp heads. When the button in pressed, it lowers the input signal by 10dB.

4. LongHairFreak

Thanks One Drop and Longfinger. I'm guessing the amp will be set up for the room already, so perhaps it'd be best if I stripped things down to go in the front end. At any rate, I guess I'll see which way (the front or the fx loop) appears quickest/easiest when I walk on.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

No they don't. IMO I have an old pre buy out WT-500.
    With mine I have to run a VT into the front end for it to sound good with fuzz or OD pedals.

7. LongHairFreak

Do you mean to say the VT is the only dirt you like the sound of through the WT500? Or are you saying you need to run the VT in addition to any fuzz/od for that dirt to sound good?

8. ugly_bassplayer

I need the VT for other pedals to sound good in the Eden head.
    Just try a big muff into a Eden and then try it with the VT going into the Eden. You are going to hear a HUGE difference.

9. ugly_bassplayer

That's why I want to sell my Eden to get a real classic SVT, but I dont have the funds at the moment.

10. LongHairFreak

Just to follow-up...I went in through the front end w/a stripped down rack/board--
    bass<tuner<Linden EQ<DHA-VT2-Twin<SFX pre<Eden head

We were last to go on. All the others went into the Eden clean and kept the highs shut down. I didn't dig it that way though, I needed some clarity. I pushed both mids some, opened up the highs a bit and let DHA dirt fly. It was a blast!

BTW, the Eden Pro Tour is a cool head, but has way too much on the front panel for my tastes. Too many knobs for my brain to easily recall what to do w/them.