1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Options to replace Duncan Designed Pus

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by maxximusic, Nov 4, 2012.

1. maxximusic

maxximusic

I got a bass last week (no brand) that is all I ever looked for, design and neck size (playability) just perfect for me..
    It came with the cheap cousin of the Seymour Duncan family, "Duncan Designed" it sounds ok to be very nice about it, I got a Pope Preamp that made it a lot better but not there yet...
    I'm looking for a pair PUs to replace them but so far no luck finding anything with the same dimensions, 4 1/2 in x 1 in.
    Can someone please help me avoid going absolutely crazy and drill the PU cavity :rollno:
    Thanks
    Marcello

2. arginator

arginator Supporting Member

Maybe Bartolini?

3. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

Those pickups are actually quite good though.. seems like that's longer than most 5 string J pickup sizez... EMG uses 4.1" for the length. Bartolini has something that's 4.13 for length; Delano is 4.125. Nordstrand has a 4.1 length pickup as well. Hard to find one that's 4.5 though.

4. darkstorm

darkstorm

Try adjsuting pups height for best sound. Do each individually solo'd and try to find sweet spot. Then retweak one or the other for best combined sound. Aka lower bridge pup or raise neck pup a little if too trebly with both together. Or reverse if too bassy with both together. Sometimes pup adjustment makes ok sounding pups sound great actually.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. maxximusic

maxximusic

I'm not saying this Pups are bad but definitely not as good as a Bart or the regular Seymour Duncan.
    This bass tends to be on the mellow sounding side due to it's wood characteristics, I'm looking to get it to be more defined and a bit more aggressive, I first thought the the MIKE POPE flex core preamp would get me there but I need to choose the PUPS well regardless the wholes size, any thoughts??

7. Syco_bass

Syco_bass

Disclosures:
    Custom builder - Arizona Bass Company/Curcio Custom Basses
    Hey Marcello, are you talking about "jazz" bass style p/ups or are these soap bar style? I understand that they are 4.5 X 1" but do they have ears?

8. maxximusic

maxximusic

Hey Syco,

The Pups are soap bars.
    Thanks

9. Syco_bass

Syco_bass

Disclosures:
    Custom builder - Arizona Bass Company/Curcio Custom Basses
    Sorry man, I don't know of anyone that makes a 4.5" X 1" soap bar. You might consider rerouting to 4.5 X 1.5" (EMG45 size) your options are almost endless at that point. Dave at SGD might be able to help out also.

Good Luck