1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Orange 1000 watt Terror head or Ampeg SVT 7 Pro

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by JK_Turin, Jan 27, 2014.

1. JK_Turin

JK_Turin

Hey all, just looking for some advice. I have an Orange OBC 410 and I'm torn between the Terror head and the SVT-7 pro.

Does anyone have any hands on experience with this set up that they can offer?

2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Both are good. Both are different.

Personally I prefer the ampeg sound, and I would buy a PF-800 over the SVT-7.

3. SteveHeissner

SteveHeissner

I can't speak for the Orange, but I have an SVT-7 PRO and it's a great amp at 15 lbs, 1000 watts, onboard compressor, both speakon and quarter inch outputs. However, I slightly prefer the sound of my GK 1001RB-II over the Ampeg. Maybe that's because I'm not using Ampeg cabinets. I think in general (and there are probably many exceptions to this rule) you'll get optimal sound if your cabinet and head are the same brand. I'd think an Orange head may sound best with an Orange cabinet.

4. el murdoque

el murdoque

Some Advice:
    Try the 500W Version of the Orange first. It's insanely loud
    already, since Orange is a bit defensive when giving out watts.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Have not tried the 1000 but I've tried a few other Orange amps, and they all seem to get that same ratty raw sound that Orange is known for. I like it sometimes, but when I don't, there didn't seem to be anything I could do about it, so for that reason I'd go with a 7 Pro or PF800.