Orange 8x10

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by CircleOfCrows, Apr 13, 2014.

1. CircleOfCrows

CircleOfCrows

Has anyone actually played one of these? I have done a search and so far it's all hear-say and pro-ampeg comments from people who haven't tried it. I've played the obc115 & 410's. Just want to know about this cab in particular :)

Compared to the OBC410 there are no tweeters by the looks of things which is a perk. Does anyone know if it has casters at all? doesn't look like it?

Thank you
  2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    For what that cabs costs... I would want a lot more cab.
  3. CircleOfCrows

CircleOfCrows

How so? Take cost out of the questions. How would you compare it to say an 810e as a reference point?
  4. subbasshz

subbasshz

this.

2k new? I can get 2 used ampeg 8x10s AND the svt to power them.
  5. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    This we can agree on. :smug:
  6. subbasshz

subbasshz

finally. :bassist:
  7. Slough Feg Bass

Slough Feg Bass

I played one in england a couple years ago. It sounded great!
    Not sure if it was better or worse than a standard ampeg, but it sounded good that night.
    I don't think I'd pay $2k for one, that is for sure.
    for that same $2k I could get another leslie 122 and have the pair sync'd and install a brake switch.
  8. mancefine

mancefine

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Orange Amplifiers and Spector Basses
    I played through one extensively and am about to order one. IMO it puts an Ampeg fridge to shame. It does sound different than 2 OBC 4x10's, as the OBC 8x10 uses neo speakers which are lighter than those in an OBC 4x10. FYI call Orange in Atlanta and tell them you are an artist. You can buy the cabs at what the dealers pay for them. So instead of $2200 it will be more like $1500. Comprable to a Heritage 8x10 and sounds way better.
  9. mancefine

mancefine

Disclosures:
    And yes, it has casters and handles. MUCH easier to manuever than 2 4x10's
  10. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

They aren't much more expensive than an Ampeg 810 over here, still not had much time with one tho.
  11. chaosMK

chaosMK Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I've never tried one. Too ugly.

I just feel like if the Orange cabs truly rocked so hard, people would be using them. That's kind of why no one seems to know how they sound or compare. Maybe they just arent priced great and there are so many other awesome types of cabs available (with more information/anecdotes) on them).

If I had to go 8x10, Mesa Powerhouse no question.
  12. mancefine

mancefine

Disclosures:
    The price is too high for most people in the US for Orange, but from what I understand in England Orange is alot cheaper than Ampeg. Another reason you don't see hardly anyone using the Orange 8x10 is that they are hardly in any stores and shipping on them is like $300. But the tone and look are worth every penny IMO.
  13. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    On cost.

per looks and tone: If that is what floats your boat, more good cabs for me. :D
  14. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

One man's ugly is another's beauty.

Orange cabs can truly rock hard, and people are using them. The fact that you said you've never tried Orange, kind of downplays your sentiment, but price is probably a very high factor. It is a pricey brand, no denial. Availability and brand knowledge could be a factor as well. I don't know how many other bass players I've shared shows with that barely know their gear, or are just on a "I got this amp and this cab really cheap" kind of level. Not to mention the number of times that I've had other musicians come up to me and say "I didn't know Orange made bass gear". Hard to believe but it's true. Some guys know Ampeg or Fender and that's that. I hardly see Ashdown played and honestly never see any Mesa's played for that matter, doesn't mean that they don't make quality gear (I used to own Mesa gear, myself).

One man's good is another man's useless. It's all personal preference on playability and tone. Orange is not for everybody, just like any other company.
    Pelham Bleu likes this.
  15. Lchamp28

Lchamp28 Supporting Member

I was curious so I went out and tried the Orange Crush 25bx practice amp. It was really clean sounding. Got lots of different tones out of it by playing around with the settings. I would definitely pay the higher price for an Orange (of course, after I found a sale, lol). It was LOUD and clear sounding. Way more than I need for the living room, but I'm tired of hauling the Hartke 25A up and down the stairs. Of course, I haven't mentioned this G.A.S. problem to my husband. ;)
  16. Lchamp28

Lchamp28 Supporting Member

Oh, and I see them all of the time in shops in and around Atlanta and Nashville. It's also possible to buy a used one online with free shipping.
  17. Pelham Bleu

Pelham Bleu Forgot what clean tone sounds like. Supporting Member

What a sourpuss.
    CL400Peavey likes this.
  18. Pelham Bleu

Pelham Bleu Forgot what clean tone sounds like. Supporting Member

Both of these. As you can see at left, I dig my Orange rig. Hauling it blows, but I like how it sounds and how it looks. I'd love to get an OBC810 but they're damn impossible to find used or b-stock and I won't shell out two large for a new one. At least not right now. The bonus of using two OBC410 is that there are some gigs where I just can't take both or need the space in my ride for other gear, etc.
    P-oddz likes this.
  19. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

His opinion is different than yours, that doesn't make him a sourpuss.