1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Orange AD 200 HELP!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by 50cal58, Nov 27, 2012.

1. 50cal58

50cal58

Just a quick question. I might have the money to blow on the Orange AD 200. Was originally going to get the terror 500 or 1000 but I found a sweet deal that I dont think I can pass up on the AD 200.
    However before I spend that much money I just wanted to hear some thoughts on quality amp heads in that price range $800-$2400?
    Any ideas?
    Ive heard a lot of good things about Ampeg SVT's or whatever, but I've tried out the Orange heads at Guitar Centers and friends houses and they sound really tight

So please, any experience with solid heads especially orange heads would be awesome.
    Thanks
    Cal

2. 50cal58

50cal58

Also, I have not done too much research on cabinets. If anyone has had or knows of a solid cabinet for under $1000 let me know. I was looking at the Gallien Krueger Neo 412, which seems like it would be perfect, but I dont know if I need something that large.
    THANKS
    any feedback is appreciated
    Cal

3. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Sometimes a rifle is more useful than a shotgun. You're talking about every flash head made in the last 5 years as well as most classic tube amps worth a damn.

Don't waste your money on a new one. Youtube is useful but it's always better to play on one first. They seem to be overpriced in US for what you're getting so you really better be in love with the tone.

4. Tim1

Tim1

I recently sold an Orange AD200 and have owned two SVT all tube heads. The SVT has, as you probably know, a strong midrange focus although it can be EQ'd to suit a variety of tones. You will always cut through the mix with an SVT IME (given a suitable cab). The Orange AD200 is a also a great head, focused a bit more on the lows with a clear vibe that is instantly appealing - my band mates loved the Orange. Don't be put off by those who say the Orange does not have a lot of clean headroom, with a passive bass it has heaps, but it is a bit more of a one trick pony. You either love it or you don't.
    I have shifted to the new Fender Super Bassman 300, which has a very versatile eq, tons of grunt and can come close to the tone of both the above plus its own lovely vintage tone.
    One other thing. Both my Ampeg SVT VR and Orange were 100% reliable in a variety of gigging and travelling situations. As you can guess though, and having owned all three recently I can speak from experience, the Fender is my current favourite.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    That much money to play with gets you so many options. Get a nice old head and a really good service. And a Barefaced cab.

7. punisher911

punisher911

I'm a fan of the GK neo410. Was going to buy one until I found my HLF410 used/like new for cheaper. The GK sounded very similar to the HLF to me. I was testing them with a Terror 500 because that's what I use.

8. bassboysam

bassboysam

that is a huge price range. for $2400 you can get better built amps than the AD200.

9. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

I would concentrate on your cab first. Where are you located?

There are a lot of great "Super cabs" out there and once you realize the performance/cost they fit your budget quite well. For perspective I would check out:

Barefaced Bass
    Baer
    fEARful
    fEARless
    greenboy cabs
    Audiokinesis
    Bill Fitzmaurice designs

IMHO I would look at the Orange Terror Bass 500 and a fEARful 15/6. Is a ton of sound/pound, and will kick any commercial cab in its weight class to the curb with ease.

10. KrisHayes

KrisHayes

AD200 or SVT Classic - for what I play, give me either and I'm a pig in you know what.

11. Alex1984

Alex1984

There's a lot of great bass tube heads worthy of mention. The SVT, the Super Bassman, the YBA-300 are 3 that I'd personally favour. A lot of people have suggest MatAmp or Electric Amp as alternatives to the AD200.

12. 50cal58

50cal58

Sorry I messed up the price range
    The deal I have on an older serviced (by someone at orange) ad 200 with new tubes is $1500.
    So the price range would be $800-$1500
    My b
    -Cal